FurnitureCleaning

Removing Tape Residue from Microfiber Upholstery

To keep my two kittens from scratching my almost-new microfiber couches, I covered certain sections with double sided sticky tape. The package said it won't damage upholstery, but as I try to remove it, it leaves a scummy layer. It seems to be taking off some of the fuzzy stuff on the microfiber. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you so much for your help.

Anais from San Diego, CA

We have had the same problem with our cats.

I purchased some spray called " NO SCRATCH "

from Pet Smart. Smelled nice. Didn't discolor the fabric. You have to re-apply it weekly to discourage them from scratching. But after a while, our kitties

ignored the stuff. :) They LIKED the smell.

Tried the sticky tape stuff too. It gathered dust, loose cat hair, and the fabric looked awful when removed.

Tried the old squirt gun with water in it trick. Works great ! After a few times of getting squirted, the kitties run when the squirt gun is shown to them. Don't even have to squirt it. Voila!

Of course, it took all of us watching and squirting at first.

But the BEST thing that actually WORKED is "Soft Paws". This is like "false fingernails" for the cat's front claws. They are very soft, clear plastic. Our vet applies them with some sort of non-toxic glue; just like when you go get your nails done! They cost $30 a set.

They last about 6 weeks. They can be ordered from pet catalogs too. But they cost $24 in the catalog, plus delivery. Besides I didn't want to be the one holding the squirming kitties to "do" their nails.

Hope this helps

Barb

Eucalyptus oil will remove sticky tape residue from pretty much anything. Should be fine on the fabric as you can also use it to remove oil stains on your clothes. The smell of it may also deter your cats - I use it on my wooden furniture to prevent my rabbits from chewing the wood!

My husband placed a roll of electrical tape on our couch, and when I removed it a big black ring was imprinted on the fabric. I used Goo Be Gone and it came right off.