Frugal Shoe Stretch

I saw that some time ago, someone requested a way to stretch shoes. Well, there is a way. Bunch up newspapers, wet the bunch, and stuff it in your shoes. The key is to make sure there is enough newspaper in each. Then place the shoes in the freezer until the newspaper is frozen. Remove from the freezer and wait until it thaws, then remove the newspaper. The shoes should be somewhat stretched out.

Source: My friend.

By Estypesty from Baltimore, MD

I never heard of such a thing but I sure am going to try it. A big thank you.

March 26, 2010 Flag

Fitting shoes can be tricky. I used to use shoe stretch I got at the shoe repair store but I ran out. To get a new pair to fit just right, I applied regular rubbing alcohol to the pressure points (inside and out) and walked around as it dried. And it WORKED! (Did it a couple of times.) Mine were rough suede, try a little on a spot that is not seen to test other sorts of leathers.

By Pam from L.A., CA

Answers:

Frugal Shoe Stretch

This is good, Pam. Thanks! My Dad swears by his years-old technique: wearing his new shoes/boots into the bathtub. (Yes, getting them totally absolutely soaking wet, inside and out.) He walks around in them whilst they dry. (Can you imagine anything more uncomfortable?) I much prefer your recommendation!

(11/03/2006)

By wordswork

Frugal Shoe Stretch

Think will try that with an OLD pair, and I'm one that will not even wear a good pair if rainin . Got to change my ways of thinking! Thanks (11/06/2006)

By minymont

Frugal Shoe Stretch

I tried this a number of years ago. I believe I read it somewhere.

It was on a pair of leather cowboy type shoes.

I poured neatsfoot oil(this is an oil that is used on the leather to soften new saddles) inside the shoes, a tablespoon or so in each shoe and spread it around to coat the inner leather, then I put plastic bags on my feet over a pair of socks. I then walked around the house in the shoes. I did this several days in a row. It works beautifully. (03/30/2007)

By dot

Frugal Shoe Stretch

Magic Wrinkle Remover (for clothes) works by using the same directions as used to be listed on the back of the shoe stretch cans:

Spray. Wear until dry. Repeat as necessary.

You can find it in the laundry aisle of most stores, hanging out with or near the Downy wrinkle remover. The Magic brand (think Faultless spray starch) is an aerosol can (Downy isn't). (12/16/2008)

By phermes

Frugal Shoe Stretch

Rose Anne, I too know your father's trick. Although uncomfortable, as the shoe, boot, etc. dries, the leather conforms to the shape of your foot as though custom made for you, making them fit like a glove. (09/09/2009)

By indianlady

Frugal Shoe Stretch

I use body spray from the dollar store to spray shoes inside and out, then wear until dry. Spray suede shoes inside only. I have a hammer toe on one foot, and shoes usually fit except over that toe. This works since the main ingredient is alcohol. And your shoes smell good too. (09/10/2009)

By Omanana

Stretching Shoes and Boots
Stretching Shoes and Boots
Consumer Advice Clothing TipsMarch 26, 2010
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
new shoes
Homemade Liquid Shoe Stretch
🎉
🎄