Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

Can I use half and half as a substitute for milk?

By Carolyn from Schuylerville, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Vicki [21]09/02/2010

Yes, but half and half has more calories and more fat. I'd use the same ratio really, if it were me. Or maybe 2 1/2 cups half and half and 1/2 cup water. It's not likely to fail miserably whatever you do.

Here are questions related to Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes.

Question: Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipe

Making homemade donuts calls for 1/2 cup of milk and I only have half and half. What should I do to get the consistency of milk or donuts that taste like they were made with milk. I am thinking of using 1/2 cup of half and half and adding water to equal 1/2 cup of milk.

By Kathleen

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

I'm making a banana cream pie. I only have half and half, not milk. Can I substitute this, and what ratio would I need to use to be equivalent to 3 cups milk?

By Sandra

RE: Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

Well, for example, in a mac and cheese recipe, I would use the exact same amount. The same for dessert-type recipes. Half and half will make any recipe much "richer tasting", and therefore, better in my opinion. Suggestion; serve a bowl of sliced fresh peaches with half and half poured over them. This is an all-time favorite of my family for sure.

Darlene (06/13/2010)

By rythumrat

You are going to have to use the same amount. (06/15/2010)

By T&T Grandma

You can probably cut back on the half and half and make up the difference with some water. That way, the consistency would be more like milk and not effect the consistency of your dessert. (06/15/2010)

By ahastings7878

Agree with ahastings7878. I think, specifically, I'd go with 2/3 half and half to 1/3 water, for your recipe, 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 and one cup water. (06/15/2010)

By PupperMom