Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

Can I use half and half as a substitute for milk?

By Carolyn from Schuylerville, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Yes, but half and half has more calories and more fat. I'd use the same ratio really, if it were me. Or maybe 2 1/2 cups half and half and 1/2 cup water. It's not likely to fail miserably whatever you do.

My recipe calls for 2 cups of scalded milk. I have only 1/2 & 1/2. Does the 2/3 rd ratio of cream plus 1/3 water work for scalding milk?

Answer

I'm making a banana cream pie. I only have half and half, not milk. Can I substitute this, and what ratio would I need to use to be equivalent to 3 cups milk?

By Sandra

Answers:

Well, for example, in a mac and cheese recipe, I would use the exact same amount. The same for dessert-type recipes. Half and half will make any recipe much "richer tasting", and therefore, better in my opinion. Suggestion; serve a bowl of sliced fresh peaches with half and half poured over them. This is an all-time favorite of my family for sure.

Darlene (06/13/2010)

By rythumrat

You are going to have to use the same amount. (06/15/2010)

By T&T Grandma

You can probably cut back on the half and half and make up the difference with some water. That way, the consistency would be more like milk and not effect the consistency of your dessert. (06/15/2010)

By ahastings7878

Agree with ahastings7878. I think, specifically, I'd go with 2/3 half and half to 1/3 water, for your recipe, 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 and one cup water. (06/15/2010)

By PupperMom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsAugust 31, 2010
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
Macaroni and Cheese
Cooking with Dairy Products
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 11:05:39 AM on 10.0.0.9 in 298 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.