Garden: Bird Nesting Pouch

This is a nesting pouch for birds filled with yarn and dog hair. Cut a rectangle out of hardware cloth, about 16 inches long and 6 inches wide. Now fold it in two and press the folded end down to make a crease. Take heavy yarn, start on one side and just pull the yarn through the open squares one at a time.

Now it is ready to hang in a bush or tree. I used a three ply yarn and pulled the short pieces into 3 thinner strands.

By Great Granny Vi

This is a very cute idea except we should only put out natural biodegradable yarn (like cotton, wool, bamboo, ramie & silk) for the birds because synthetic yarn is can not be digested & won't biodegrade. My vet told me she is always doing surgery on pets that get yarn stuck in their intestines, so I would think it could happen to a wild animal as well.

For those of you who still leave synthetic yarn for birds, please cut it into tiny pieces so it's safer & they don't get tangled in it. Also, unfortunately, I worry about a bird getting stuck in that grid pattern, as another ThriftyFun person posted a warning about a bird's foot getting caught in a net feeder made from an onion bag she had made.

I am sorry about my negative post, because I love your cute idea! Maybe I'm just paranoid because my cat had to have $800 surgery because of something like this that he ate.

Please do not put out yarn, thread, etc., for birds!!! The baby birds entangle their feet in the yarn and thread and are not able to free themselves!!!!

Nesting Supplies to Birds
Providing Nesting Supplies to Birds
Crafts Garden & YardApril 12, 2010
Bird Eating from Bird Feeder
Keeping The Ground Under a Bird Feeder Clean
Rustic birdhouse.
Scrap Wood Birdhouses
Chicken Nesting Box
Getting Chickens to Lay in Nesting Box
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
🎉
🎄