Pull Your Coupons Off Products Before Checkout

Don't expect the cashiers at the check out to pull coupons off of products for you! Some do but some do not! I have been disappointed several times about this. The coupon can most often be used on the next trip to the store but you lost a chance!

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

This is a great reminder tip. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me because I was busy emptying my cart onto the register and trying to watch the register at the same time. It's a shame that most cashiers will not pull those coupons off, but it's another sign that customer service is a sign of the times.

Careful about this! Sometimes the store will not honor a coupon unless the cashier removes it. I know that several of our local supermarkets offer discount coupons on produce or dairy that is close to the expiration. These coupons must be removed by the cashier at the checkout register to be valid. If you remove it yourself before proceeding to checkout, the store will not honor it! Check your store's policy before following this advice.

My sister, who works at one of Giant Eagle's Akron locations, is one of those rare cashiers who notices and helps customers with those stick-on coupons. Too bad more of her contemporaries don't!

I am a cashier in in big box grocery store. I regularly ring up orders of 100 items or more. In my store, we are expected to scan a certain number of items per hour. I cannot afford to inspect every item for a coupon as this slows down my time. My time affects my annual raise. Do you really want or expect your cashier to inspect every item for a coupon? Place the items with pull off coupons at the end of the order and politely tell your cashier, "These items have coupons on them."

I love that people always point a finger of blame at cashiers/retail employees/wait staff, but never look at the general lack of civility in society in general and consumers in particular. Do you know how many times I have said, "Hi, how are you today?" and the customer has replied, "Don't squish my bread" or "Don't pack my bags too heavy" or "The last time I was here my order was screwed up." Even better is the customer who talks on their phone through the whole transaction, not even acknowledging you as a person. People regularly treat me like uneducated garbage.

A friendly smile and a word goes a long way.

I am a cashier at my local grocery store and I do agree with the other posters. I have said hello and I try to notice which items have the coupons on them on a regular basis and I would pull the coupon off myself. I do also have to worry about not squishing the customers bread or eggs or making sure their packages of lunch meat does not end up inside the conveyor belt. There are some items that have the sticky part of the coupon too and sometimes my customers will hand me the whole thing the sticky part and all. It is annoying trying to pull off the sticky part before I put the coupon into my bag.

This is a great idea, because I have also had coupons go unused for the same reason. I have also had cashiers not exactly "yell" at me but tell me sternly, "Don't do that, it's my job to do that..." I guess you can't win sometimes.

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingOctober 1, 2009
coupons
Finding Free Coupons
Online Coupon Computer
Using Online Coupons
A bunch of coupons cut out of ads in the newspaper.
Using Coupons
Replacing a Zipper Pull
Replacing a Zipper Pull
🎉
🎄