Wiz and Ebony (Miniature Dachshunds)

These are my two babies, Wiz and Ebony. They are both small short haired miniature Dachshunds.

Wiz is the brown one on the bottom and he is slightly bigger. We rescued him when he was around 5 years old from a shelter. We think he was dropped off after having one long time owner (due to the severe separation anxiety he had when we got him). Other than the behavioral problems he had when we first got him, and eventually worked through, he is an absolute delight. When he sleeps, he burrows in his blankets and try to mummify himself LOL.

Ebony is the black Dachshund that likes to sit on him (her favorite seat in the house). She was rescued from Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue. They found her, along with 40 Pomeranians and 19 other Dachshunds in a puppy mill in a woman's backyard. By the time the animals were rescued, Ebony had already had as many litters as was possible by the age of 4 and was severely underweight. She had been raised in a very inhumane environment and still to this day, is a very frightened little dog (especially of loud noises and any strangers, even relatives). We thought she was mute when we first got her because she never made a sound (bark, whine, etc). Even if she is in pain, she will still remain silent. We soon learned that dogs rescued from puppy mills most often are mute due to the extreme conditions they lived and grew up in and also for the fact that they have learned making sounds will get them nothing, and in most cases punished.

2 years later now, Ebony is doing much better. Her change has been nothing short of a miracle. She will wag her tail (around us), skip and spin around, roll around on her back on the carpet and even bark! Yes, bark! Turned out that that little lady has quite a voice on her and she will bark incessantly at the neighbors if she sees them out. Many puppy mill dogs have their vocal cords cut out so that they will not bark. We are lucky that that did not happen to Ebony.

Thanks ThriftyFun for allowing us to share our pet stories.

By Pookie

your babies r so cute.

That is a great story & a funny pic.

They remind me of my neighbors little Doxies. Thanks for the wonderful story. They are characters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I'm a lover of mini Dachsunds having had two, plus two Great Danes. Not at the same time of course, but it does produce a funny mental picture. Anyway, your story and pictures posted are wonderful. Thanks so much for giving the pleasure of reading of the rescue and how wonderfully Ebony is coming along. They both are sweethearts.

When I came here to see your little dogs, was I suprised to see they look just like a picture I had taken of my daughter two little dachshunds. The very same color as each of yours. Sadly to say she lost her black one she had for 19 years just before Christmas. We also had these same dogs when our children were little. They are a wonderful pet.

Thanks to you and people like you who adopt dogs who need homes. We adopted a chow/lab mix from a shelter when he was 1 year old. Toby had been in 3 homes before we got him. There was nothing really wrong with him other than he is an active, strong boy who needed attention. We have had him for 3 years and love him very much. The longer we had him, the more relaxed and puppy-like he has become. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt again.

AWWWW!! So sweet. I am interested in the Coast to Coast Rescue. I would like to see if we can get a couple locally. We had red long haired Mini Doxies. Herbie lived to be 19 yrs. and my baby,Ginger was 16-1/2 when my husband had to put her down while I was away taking care of my dying sister. It has been since 1998 that we have been without a pet. I miss them very much.Here is a picture of Ginger.

Granny Vi...Ginger looks absolutely adorable. It's always so devastating when our pet dies isn't it? My parents haven't had a dog since their Golden Retriever died 5 years ago. The link to Coast to coast dachshund is:

http://www.c2cdr.org/

You can also try this page (this is where we found Ebony) at the Dachshund rescue page

http://www.drwp.net/needhome.html

Thanks to everybody for writing back and sharing your stories and allowing me to share mine! :)

Thanks for the links. I couldn't find a dog close to us. I will keep checking. The second link has one that sounds just purfect, but is to far away for us . Anyone out there close to Simi Valley or Thousand Oaks Ca. that knows of one or two red long haired lady mini Dachsunds for near free,please let me know. Thanks very much. Am willing to have kittys also. Here is a picture of our ZsaZsa with Ginger. Zsa Zsa was a"Mod Squad" cat . After the wardrobe mistress for that TV series had her spayed she was given to us. We had her for 25 wonderful years. We guessed that she was a year old when we got her. 26 yrs old.

Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets DogsJanuary 27, 2005
Miniature Crochet
Miniature Crochet Tips
Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes
Miniature Cheesecake Recipes
Growing Miniature Iris (Dwarf Iris)
Growing Miniature Iris (Dwarf Iris)
🎉
🎄