Help My Camellia Bush

My camellia has some leaves that are turning brown. I asked the gardener if he knew what it was? He thought it was bugs, but I had it checked out and it's not. What should I do?

By Elaine from The Villages, FL

I planted a camellia last fall (my first) and it was doing very well until a few weeks ago all the leaves and buds fell off. It was looking great until this happened, all the buds were swelling up and the leaves were green and shiny. Any idea what happened? It is putting out new growth, but I would have loved to see it bloom.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Sandy from South Boston, VA

I have a large double-white Camellia bush that I have had in a large container on my porch since 1999. I dug it from my Mother's yard after she died and I moved to Atlanta. It has done great until now. I water it and feed it and it gets appropriate light, but just in the last week, as it started putting out the new leaves and old ones dropping. It also started dropping the new leaves. And the leaves have brown and black on the ends of the leaves (some small leaves are completely black).

I don't want to lose the plant as it is a loving reminder of my Mother. Does anyone know if it has a fungus, pest or what is wrong with it? I will appreciate your remarks as to how I can save the plant.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Thanks.
AtlantaPat from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Help My Camelia Bush

Try this website. It is the Gainesville FL Camellia Society. They have a lot of good information on camellias. I hope this helps you.

afn.orgBy GaJan