Craft Project: Shell Plaque

Use left over scraps of wood and any collected shells to make a nice plaque for your walls. Also uses craft paints, stencil, and tile grout. Long plaque with different shells.

Approximate Time: Can be done in one day, but might take 2 days

• shells
  • boards or thin fiber board
  • craft paint
  • grout
  • stencil pattern
  • hot glue gun/or wood glue
  • picture hangers

This can be made any size and shape you would like. Start with small pieces of thin wood, or fiberboard.

1. Decide what size you want to make the plaque and what size for the small pieces that the shells will be mounted on.
  2. Paint the base plaque with a fast drying craft paint.
  3. Paint the smaller pieces of wood with another color paint.
  4. You can make it look rustic by sanding off some of the painted areas, or use a crackle finish.
  5. If you want to make a decorative boarder on any of the wooden pieces do this before they are glued together. Use some tile grout and spread it over a stencil pattern, pull of the pattern carefully and let the decoration dry.
  6. Ad

7. Glue the shells onto the smaller pieces of wood, then glue these pieces onto the larger piece of wood. Use whatever type glue will work for you.
  8. Put any type of picture hanger on the backside of the plaque.

By Susan from Mulberry, FL

This is such a great idea...especially using the stencils and the tile grout. I would have never have thought of that. I can see Christmas presents coming out of this, too. Thank you so much.

I just wanted to tell how beautiful this craft is. Good job. Well done.

These are beautiful!! I absolutely love shells and stuff from the ocean anyway, and the grout and stencil thing was rather unique I thought!! Like the British say, Good show!!

I am dazzled! But how does the tile grout hold up? Is it pretty tough?

Thanks everyone for the great comments. It is a very easy project and you can make it rustic or elegant.

The grout is the premixed type you buy in Home Depot. It is very sturdy and drys very fast. I had some left over from a floor tile project.

I saw little plaques like this in one of the department stores, but they were just pictures on the wood, and I thought why not use real shells, and it came out very good.

They would make great gifts, use your imagination and personalize them.

I did a version of this last year, and put it up in my office. I added live vines, and ferns, and put multiple coats of white paint on them. The leaves were preserved, and cool accent gold/brown colors seeped up thru the paint for nice natural touch.

I used a vine that had wrapped itself around a small pipe, and it held the spiral shape. It got more positive comments than my oil paintings!

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsApril 18, 2008
Textured Half Shell Cowl
Making a Textured Half Shell Cowl
knitting needles and yarn
Sea Shell Knitting Stitch
Sea Shell Wind Chimes
Sea Shell Wind Chimes
ice cream with chocolate shell topping
Homemade "Magic Shell"