Toilet Isn't Flushing Well

My toilet is bubbling and doesn't flush real well. Can someone tell me what might be wrong?

Nancy from North Vernon, IN

I only know mine, but I think that the ball that closes the bottom so the water can fill up the tank isn't doing its job. I have to open the tank and push down the wire on top of the ball in order to get the toilet to fill maybe one of three times. I am sorry to say that I know very well the slight change in sound between the toilet filling and the toilet not filling. Good luck. I hope a plumber will tell both of us how to cure this inexpensively...I just don't want to pay the plumber's bill and so put up with the inconvenience.

If the water in the bowl is the problem, try pouring a bottle of bleach in and let it set for a while and flush. If there is is some soft object partially plugging it this always works for me.

Before you replace the the works in you tank, check to see if there is a blockage in the toilet. Start with a plunger then try a plumbers helper. This is a small plastic device that forces air down the toilet. They are easy to use and not to expensive. When a tank doesn't flush well it is usually a blockage. You can take the top off to see if the works in the tank are working right, but try to clear the toilet drain first. Good luck.

Thank you all for the ideas. The problem fixed itself some how. Thanks again.

When ours bubbles, it means it's time for the plumber to come and "roto rooter" the sewer line. There's a blockage in there. Hopefully this helps. Misty