Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Storing Cucumbers in the Refrigerator

Does anyone know a good way to store cucumbers in the fridge? I've been putting them in paper towels and then a vented plastic bag and they just don't seem to last.
Thanks.

By Judy from Delta, BC

By Cathy05/28/2010

Have you ever seen the metallic ziplock bags that some dried fruits like prunes and apricots are sold in? They resemble mylar which the helium balloon are made of. I save those bags as they keep herbs and chopped raw vegetables fresh and crisp for a long time - a week at least. Remember to let the air out of the bag before ziplocking it.

By Keeper [57]05/27/2010

Here at our Supermarkets 1 cucumber is $1.99(!), so thanks for these tips. At those prices I planted my own and I can hardly wait for harvest.

By Lesa [7]05/27/2010

My mom will wash them slice them either long way or cross ways and puts them in a mason jar with plain water and keeps them in the refrigerator. They usually stay fresh for a while. Oh and keep the lid tight. and old jars will work too.

By Sandy [1]05/27/2010

Put our sliced cucumbers in vinegar water. They will last longer

By Amy3e05/27/2010

There is a product advertised called Green Bags.. they are more expensive than regular plastic bags but are supposed to keep food fresh for like a week. My girlfriend uses them and swears by them. says even if they cost a bit more.. you save money as the food doesn't spoil. She says they work especially well for produce. fruits. veggies which have a shorter shelf life.

By kathleen williams [23]05/27/2010

Keep unwashed cucumbers in the refrigerator crisper. Unwaxed cucumbers should be checked daily for spoilage, while waxed ones keep for about a week. Wrap cut cucumbers tightly in plastic wrap and use within a day or two.
Good luck.