Storing Cucumbers in the Refrigerator

Does anyone know a good way to store cucumbers in the fridge? I've been putting them in paper towels and then a vented plastic bag and they just don't seem to last.

By Judy from Delta, BC

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By kathleen williams 76 1,662 05/27/2010

Keep unwashed cucumbers in the refrigerator crisper. Unwaxed cucumbers should be checked daily for spoilage, while waxed ones keep for about a week. Wrap cut cucumbers tightly in plastic wrap and use within a day or two.
Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Amy3e 1 89 05/27/2010

There is a product advertised called Green Bags.. they are more expensive than regular plastic bags but are supposed to keep food fresh for like a week. My girlfriend uses them and swears by them. says even if they cost a bit more.. you save money as the food doesn't spoil. She says they work especially well for produce. fruits. veggies which have a shorter shelf life.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sandy 1 5 05/27/2010

Put our sliced cucumbers in vinegar water. They will last longer

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lesa 7 2 05/27/2010

My mom will wash them slice them either long way or cross ways and puts them in a mason jar with plain water and keeps them in the refrigerator. They usually stay fresh for a while. Oh and keep the lid tight. and old jars will work too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Keeper 58 1,056 05/27/2010

Here at our Supermarkets 1 cucumber is $1.99(!), so thanks for these tips. At those prices I planted my own and I can hardly wait for harvest.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cathy 1 05/28/2010

Have you ever seen the metallic ziplock bags that some dried fruits like prunes and apricots are sold in? They resemble mylar which the helium balloon are made of. I save those bags as they keep herbs and chopped raw vegetables fresh and crisp for a long time - a week at least. Remember to let the air out of the bag before ziplocking it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No