Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Storing Cucumbers in the Refrigerator

1EmailPrintFollowSave

Does anyone know a good way to store cucumbers in the fridge? I've been putting them in paper towels and then a vented plastic bag and they just don't seem to last.
Thanks.

By Judy from Delta, BC

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 05/27/2010 Flag

Keep unwashed cucumbers in the refrigerator crisper. Unwaxed cucumbers should be checked daily for spoilage, while waxed ones keep for about a week. Wrap cut cucumbers tightly in plastic wrap and use within a day or two.
Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Amy3e 1 89 05/27/2010 Flag

There is a product advertised called Green Bags.. they are more expensive than regular plastic bags but are supposed to keep food fresh for like a week. My girlfriend uses them and swears by them. says even if they cost a bit more.. you save money as the food doesn't spoil. She says they work especially well for produce. fruits. veggies which have a shorter shelf life.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandy 1 5 05/27/2010 Flag

Put our sliced cucumbers in vinegar water. They will last longer

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lesa 7 2 05/27/2010 Flag

My mom will wash them slice them either long way or cross ways and puts them in a mason jar with plain water and keeps them in the refrigerator. They usually stay fresh for a while. Oh and keep the lid tight. and old jars will work too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Keeper 58 1,055 05/27/2010 Flag

Here at our Supermarkets 1 cucumber is $1.99(!), so thanks for these tips. At those prices I planted my own and I can hardly wait for harvest.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cathy 1 05/28/2010 Flag

Have you ever seen the metallic ziplock bags that some dried fruits like prunes and apricots are sold in? They resemble mylar which the helium balloon are made of. I save those bags as they keep herbs and chopped raw vegetables fresh and crisp for a long time - a week at least. Remember to let the air out of the bag before ziplocking it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes