Copy Herb and Spice Mixes at Home

I make almost all of my own spice, herb, and salad dressing mixes I read the ingredients on the label and reproduce it without all of the unpronounceable names added, I start out with a small batch to get a taste match as close as possible to the original product. About the only time I buy an off the shelf herb or spice mix now, is if I want try try something new I haven't seen. It saves the price of the shelf product and I also use the mixes for gifts. I have a large collection of herbs and spices so I have a lot to work from. You may have to buy some products to get started.

By suecrisp from Shingle Springs, CA

That's great. Share some of your recipes.

Did you by chance duplicate the seasoning mix used in Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice? That is such a great idea, and I appreciate all the work you put into this project but I have to say I don't have the time (or possibly the talent :-) to do something like this. Any recipes your willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

August 5, 2011 Flag

I'm looking for a copy cat recipe for Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice herb and seasoning packet, or any other copy cat herb/spice mixes. We would like to start getting away from pre-packaged food, but some favorites still suck us in!

By Angela

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask and ye shall receive! This website has a LOT of great recipes for the budget minded: ... ed-long-grain-wild-rice-mix-947.html

The thing with most packaged flavor packets is they have so much salt. You will find in most the combination of garlic, onion, parsley, etc. Great that you're wanting to make from scratch! This is a great time to explore new herbs and spices!

Now you have a choice. I must admit, I like this one because it includes ginger and turmeric plus a detailed nutrition list for those who want to it.

Herb and Spice Mix
Homemade Herb and Spice Mixes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesJuly 19, 2010
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
McCormick's Copycat Spices
McCormick's Copycat Recipes
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions