Making Copycat Herb and Spice Mixes at Home

By reading the ingredients on commercial spice mixes, you can make your own seasoning blends. This is a guide about making copycat herb and spice mixes at home.

I make almost all of my own spice, herb, and salad dressing mixes I read the ingredients on the label and reproduce it without all of the unpronounceable names added, I start out with a small batch to get a taste match as close as possible to the original product. About the only time I buy an off the shelf herb or spice mix now, is if I want try try something new I haven't seen. It saves the price of the shelf product and I also use the mixes for gifts. I have a large collection of herbs and spices so I have a lot to work from. You may have to buy some products to get started.

By susie from Shingle Springs, CA

I'm looking for a copy cat recipe for Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice herb and seasoning packet, or any other copy cat herb/spice mixes. We would like to start getting away from pre-packaged food, but some favorites still suck us in!

By Angela

Answers

Best Answer

The thing with most packaged flavor packets is they have so much salt. You will find in most the combination of garlic, onion, parsley, etc. Great that you're wanting to make from scratch! This is a great time to explore new herbs and spices!

Best Answer

Now you have a choice. I must admit, I like this one because it includes ginger and turmeric plus a detailed nutrition list for those who want to it.
http://www.food  wild-rice-113180