Make Your Own "Elmers" Glue

• 1 quart skim milk
  • 3/4 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 10 oz. water

Directions:

Place milk and vinegar in a double boiler. Cook on low heat and stir as curds form. Drain off liquid. Wash remaining mass with water until the vinegar smell is gone. Put in a clean bowl. Dissolve baking soda in water. Pour over curds and stir until a white paste forms. Place in re-sealable containers.

I would think that this would be much more expensive than the white glue. I can get it at the dollar store for a buck and not have to take the time for all this. Remember, your 'time is money' too.

THIS COULD VERY WELL BE TRUE. I JUST WANTED TO OFFER A CHOICE. AND SINCE IT IS INGREDIENTS THAT USUALLY WE HAVE AT HOME. I WOULD THINK IT WOULDN'T BE ALL THAT EXPENSIVE TO MAKE BUT MORE TIME CONSUMING

It's always worth comparing... maybe we'll try it here and find out how many ounces of glue this recipe produces. It seems like it would make 10 ounces plus the curds. Looking at office depots website, they have 4 ounces of Elmer's for $1.07. It's always fun to know how to make things yourself regardless.

I agree with hugmehugs. I can buy a BIG bottle of white glue at my local dollar store and not waste my food or my time making glue.

I DON'T KNOW I THINK IT WOULD BE RATHER FUN TO DO ESPECIALLY WITH THE GRANDKIDS.IT COULD BE RATHER EDUCATIONAL. AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A THRIFTY AND "FUN" SITE IS IT NOT??

I believe the main asset of being thrifty, is to allow an individual to do what is most helpful for him/her, not for everyone else. And sometimes what would be helpful in one situation simply will not work for that same person at another time. If it works for one person, they should take that hint and run with it. If it won't work for you, just pass it by. With that said, can you use instant powdered milk? That would cut costs immensely. Also, would this keep as long as bought glue? This may work great as a science experiment for a group of kids.

I would think instant would work, as it is equivelant to skim milk when fully constituted.

I was at Wal-Mart today and they had the small bottles of Elmer's on sale for 20¢ each!!

NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO STOCK UP ON BACK TO SCHOOL ITEMS :)YOU CAN GET SOME REALLY GOOD BARGAINS

I have been in life situations where I had only time, and the stuff on hand, no money and no way to get anywhere to spend it if I had it. So knowing these things can be very useful in a pinch. If you have no cash and a kid who needs to glue something for an important school project, it is more than just novel usefulness, it is a life saver.

Yes, it is good to be thrifty and self sufficient. HOWEVER--it is also important to use your TIME wisely, to be "time thrifty"--I can't see how this would be a good use of time. How much an hour do you make when you work? Don't underestimate the value of your time when deciding how to spend it. (BTW, my local WalMart had bottles of Elmer's for 5 cents each--makes much more sense to simply stock up!).

Actually it may use time but it is more interesting than that. I believe that the original Elmers glue was casein based - casein being the proteins from milk. It has unique qualities, you can make a very durable poster paint by mixing pigments with it and it is virtually colorless. Any artists out there can make a very effective pastel fixative by mixing a light glue solution with alcohol. Modern Elmers products are PVA - petrol based. When the change-over occured I don't know.

Here is also another tip:"Fevicol" is the same as PVA glue... it's just one brand of it which is famous in few countries, I think, so people started just calling it by the brand name instead of the real name (like "Kleenex" instead of tissue, or "Vaseline" instead of petroleum jelly, etc).

PVA glue is a permanent "white glue." In the art world, it's usually known as PVA glue (especially some of the "better" brands).

Permanent white glues come in various formulations though--thin to thick/tacky, very strong and water-resistant to less so, ones that dry "dimensional" or domed, packaged as "decoupage mediums," cheap to more expensive, and even in yellow when made into "wood glue," etc.

Fevicol is a PVA glue which means polyvinyl acetate. Even I watch art attack and I had the same question using fevicol gives the exact same effect.

Sometimes you have to remember that life is more than just running out to the store for everything. And spending time with your children to make things is time well spent. While I know it may be less money to go to Walmart to purchase this, I like to spend quality time with my children and now my grandchildren. Thank you so much for this recipe.

What some consider a waste of time may be relaxing for others; it is an individual's choice how they decide to spend their time.

Can I use regular milk?

Can I water down whole milk, or use evaporated?

If you don't want to make glue don't make it?! But as a side note I don't agree that time is money, the only thing they have in common is how you choose to spend them. I think a great memory made in time is priceless. I know when I am in my final days, I won't be like, "Darn!, I sure wish I would of worked more and made more money.... Nah.. I will be like"Hey!, remember that time we made homemade glue! ha ha..."

On top of that, we would be lessening our carbon foot print, by up-cycling an old container, instead of going out and buying ten more to float around the earth for forever.. cuz plastic is not bio degradable it only breaks apart to smaller pieces that get into our water and fish supply :) and maybe you could even recycle it, but once recycled the chances are the next person will "throw it away."

Thank you for posting a way for me to make memories with the ones I love :))

Homemade White Glue
Homemade White Glue
Crafts MiscellaneousAugust 7, 2006
Blue Glitter Glue
Removing Glitter Glue from Clothes
Super Glue on Eyeglasses
Removing Super Glue from Eyeglasses
glue dots on strip of release paper
Homemade Glue Dots
Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
🎄