Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

Pin It
wall hanging

Are you having a hard time with trying to decide what to place on your wall in your open foyer? Or even just on a long wall? I have the solution for you!

Materials

• 24x24 inch plywood
  • 1x2x24 inch wood strip
  • wood glue
  • sheet foam
  • favorite material
  • staple gun
  • picture hangers

Instructions

1. Glue the wood strip onto the board.
  2. Glue foam on smooth side of board.
  3. Stretch the material over the foam and staple it to the back of the board. Then nail the photo hanger in the center and you are ready to hang your photo.
  4. Place several in a row to cover your wall! Looks wonderful. Functional Decorating! :)

By Kerry from Oak Harbor, OH

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By DeBushe [16]04/30/2012

For a temporary fabric wall try this solution used by Service wives who have to move a lot. Soak sheets in liquid starch and wring out then use a squeegee to paste them on the wall. It will stick and dry. When you want to move and take it with you just loosen and edge and peel off.
    I've never tried this myself, just going on what I remember that they told me when I worked in a fabric store in the 80's. Would like to see some handy hints about it from someone who has done it.

By bloomer11/09/2009

That looks great, nice job. :)

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

I bought a piece of material at WalMart that has the 23rd Psalm on it. The piece measures 33 inches wide by 42 inches long. I want to make a wall hanging out of it but I am not sure how. What I would really like to do is to stretch it across and tack it to the frame so it is tight and the words and the picture stand out. I know that if I could do this it would make a beautiful, but inexpensive wall hanging. Has anybody out there ever done this? Would you share your method with me?

Thank you.
    Louise from FL

RE: Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

There is an article in this months issue of Better Homes and Gardens on how to do just that. They took a piece of material and a piece of plywood and just pulled the material tight and used a staple gun to staple the material to the back of the plywood. They folded down the corners, kind-of like wrapping a present. It looked really nice even w/ out a frame around it. (05/25/2005)

By Rebecca

RE: Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

I've made fabric wall hangings by placing dowels through pockets, made like you would curtains. The bottom dowel weights the fabric to stretch it. Tassels can be placed on the corners, and a piece of silky braid tied loosely at the two top corners will provide something to hang it. Good luck with whichever method you choose. It sounds lovely. (05/25/2005)

By Alex

RE: Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

You can get wood stretcher bars like used in artist canvases from any art supplier in almost every size. Try the Dick Blick advertisement in this newsletter. Simply put them together (they interlock at the corners) and staple or tack the edge of the material to the back of the stretcher bars neatly. Good luck! sounds like it would make up lovely. (05/25/2005)

By Donna

RE: Making a Fabric Wall Hanging

I am thinking that it is poly/cotton blend.So you need some wonder under-the stiff white stuff you can put on the back to make it not be so flimsy. Cut the wonder under the same size as the Psalm fabric.Choose a solid color same size as the Psalm fabric.By putting the wonder under between the Psalm fabric and the solid color and fold the edges down and stitch down all but the top edges. Get a dowel rod and cut it the same size as the fabric at the top of the hanging,leaving an inch on either side. Fold the top of the fabric over the dowel rod and stitch it down. Tie colorful cord or heavy rope-like twine on the dowel rod,and hang from the middle.

Hope this makes sense. (09/06/2006)

By Nancy