Hanging Vintage Clothing on Walls

I have some vintage clothing, purses and hats that I would like to display on my bedroom wall. I am in an apartment with sheetrock walls and can't damage them. The only hangers I have are the colored plastic type and don't seem right. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this display look right?

Thank you.
Kathie from South Portland, ME

Usually, your lease says you can put small hangers in the walls (with nails) as long as you fix the holes when you move out.

If not, there are some plastic hooks with double sided tape on them that is very sticky. That might work. Try looking for hooks for mugs with sticky tape, they might use stronger tape because mugs are heavier.

This may sound impossible, but you can use straight pins instead of nails. Just be delicate when first hammering each in (so it doesn't bend). I've hung many framed pictures, hats, and even wooden decorations on straight pins...as for the actual display, maybe try nice wood hangers?

You can group things together by type (purses in one area, hats in another). Or, pick something to be the center of the display and hang things around that. Actually, having a center to work off of may look the best. And you don't have to have hangers...just use the nail, pins, or hooks as the hanger. :)

Thank you for the ideas!! I am going to try the pins first. I guess I will use a long dress for the centerpiece. You have good ideas. Wish I had a computer so I could send you a photo when it's done. I may even hang some vintage jewelry with the pins too!!

Thanks so much,

Kathie, South Portland, Maine

I also use pins...they work great and you wouldn't believe what they hold and dont leave huge places on the wall likes nails and hooks. Good luck!

There are hooks available ( I think that they are from 3M) that use a command strip. When you want to remove the hook you pull a tab on the back and it is not supossed to damage the surface. I have a flower arrangment hanging with one right now. I think they are pretty sturdy but I haven't removed one yet so I don't know if there will be any damage or paint removed.

I use brass decorative push pins to hang so many things around the house. They only make very small holes in the walls. They are usually located in the hardware section of Walmart or Target. I'd try those and hang the clothes on padded satin hangers. They can be found for about $1 a piece in packs at places like Walmart and Ross. Or check the thrift store!

I've hung some of my kids' most special baby clothes on the satin padded hangers and used their curtain rods as the display piece. If your landlord will allow it, hang one long rod across the top of a wall and use chains to hang more lightweight rods from that. Or use ribbons to hang the clothes from the rod on hangers at different levels. Tie the ribbon to the rod, leave a length, tie the ribbon to the hanger, add the garment and so on. This adds a lot of interest and can dress a large space affordably. If you want a more masculine look, use wooden hangers and chrome chains or leather twine with your rod instead of satin and ribbons.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BedroomJanuary 25, 2006
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
A picture frame on a plaster wall.
Hanging Pictures on Plaster Walls