Bring Tea for the Mall

When going to the mall, I pack tea bags in my daughter's diaper bag. That way when passing through the food court, I ask at a fast-food restaurant if I could have a coffee cup with hot water in it. This costs no money and I can have a tea for free while I'm out!

By Andrea from Cambridge, ON

It still costs the company for the cup and cover. Not quite fair to them.

I agree with jataiea!

Unless you're actually buying a meal at these places when you're asking perhaps you could bring your own cup (and cream and sugar if you use those in your tea too). It would still be free for the water but not taking advantage of a restaurant.

I didn't know you could even do this but I wouldn't feel right unless I was buying something. I mean how would it be if all day long these food vendors were asked to give a cup and hot water to people for free. There's being frugal and then there's well being cheap too. I don't think I could do that. If I wanted to have tea or coffee when browzing around at the mall, I'd just fix it at home in a thermal cup and bring along with me. Sorry, don't mean to be so judgemental.

Ditto! Take a thermos!

I'd be too shy to just ask for a cup of hot water. Perhaps you could buy the cup? I think the restaurants prob pay about a nickel or so each. If you paid a dime or a quarter and used their sugar too, they'd still come out ahead. Still thrifty, but not quite what I'd call downright cheap.

I'm with you, except for putting the tea bags in the diaper bag-maybe find a different place, like your pocket or something.

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingMarch 26, 2010
Russian Tea
Russian Tea Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes