CateringParties

Alternatives to Wine Glasses

I could sure use some advice! I'm planning a surprise party for my sis's 50th birthday. I'm planning to serve wine as the only alcoholic beverage and don't have enough wine glasses to go around. I really don't like the look of plastic cups. Is there any alternative besides buying dozens of wine glasses that I'll never use again? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Maggie from Virginia

sometimes party stores(and often dollar stores) have plastic wine glasses, they come in many different colors, shapes and sizes and they look wonderful.

Why not ask the guests to bring a wine glass from home for that evening?

The last surprise birthday party that we went to...everyone was asked to bring a mug as a gift and all then chipped in for a coffee maker for him. Does your sister need wine glasses...people could go purchase some for her as the gift and then use them that evening to "break" them in.

Or...ask friends beforehand and borrow all the wine glasses.

Or...make it a party to remember...serve wine in fancy china teacups as something different.

They can be rented at party rental places.

I see nothing wrong with using plastic! I guess it depends on how many people will be attending as to whether or not you can buy glass wine glasses. You might find some at a thrift store tho, altho perhaps not all matching. Borrowing might be an even better idea!

I'd go with the rental idea, especially if you need 2 dozen or more. They are usually available in several styles and sizes (red, white, champagne, large, small) so you could get a variety. Try contacting party rentals, caterers, hotels, even tool rental companies [you'd be surprised what they carry!] because prices can vary quite a lot. Also ask about policies on breakage and whether they can be returned "dirty" or must be cleaned.

Could you let the guests take home the wine glasses (maybe all decorated with charms or ribbons or something) home as a party favor? I don't know if you have an Ikea near by, but they have decent wine glasses that are VERY inexpensive--you could easily add bows or paint or something to make them unique and send everyone home with a reminder of the birthday bash!

You can get wine glasses for 50 cents apiece at some thrift shops. It makes no difference if they match. Be funky & fun -- emphasize that they don't match as if you've done that on purpose. Display them all on a pretty tray or in some pretty arrangement before the guests arrive. If you are crafty you can paint designs on them, using the 50th theme or something else you may like. Or make matching wine charms using the number 50. If a couple thrift shop glasses are accidentally broken, no big deal. There are a lot of good suggestions here. Trust me though, real wine glasses have way more class and beat plastic HANDS DOWN!

Borrow or get some a at Goodwill store or buy some

inexpensive one and use as party favor gifts.Also

tie a little ribbon to each stem and print names,

we do this with even plastic ones so no mix ups.

Just have fun.

If you live anywhere near an IKEA store, go there. The wine glasses are extremely cheap. Also, where I live (in California) there is a wine store that rents glasses for something like 25 cents each, and they tell you it's okay to return them dirty - they have to wash them either way. Of course, they are hoping that you wil buy the wine from their store. If you buy wine glasses from a thrift store or borrow from friends, they won't all match, but then again that could be a plus since it will be easier for folks to remember which glass is theirs if they set it down somewhere.