Making a Purse from T-shirts

I have some tank tops and t-shirts that I can no longer wear but I like the designs on them and would like to keep them. I have thought of turning them into purses, but don't know how. Any ideas? Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

there is a GREAT website that can show you numerous things to do with those t-shirts, and tons of other crafts.

www.craftster.org

under the clothing section, there's a forum for purses and wallets, a section for "reconstructed" clothing, etc.

I have made purses out of tank tops before, and it is really easy. For a tank top all you have to do is turn the tank top inside out and sew the bottom edges together and then the straps can be the handles. As for t-shirts, you would want to do the same but also sew up the arm holes. You would want to fashion a strap of some sort out of ribbon or something.

Also throw pillows, framed art and use as appliques on other clothing items.

You could put them over the front seats in your car. I've seen people do this before, instead of investing in seatcovers.

We're doing it for a school project.

Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make a purse out of t-shirts:

http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyaccessories/ss/TShirtPurse.htm

Hope this helps and have a great day! -Rain

Your Guide to DIY Fashion at About.com

June 27, 2007 Flag

I am looking for directions for making a purse from recycled t-shirts.

Pat from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Making a Purse from T-shirts

I don't have directions for you. But I have done a lot with t-shirts in the past and one the things I have found is they stretch a lot when working with them.

I highly recommend using a heated adhesive sheet to attach the t-shirt to before beginning to work with it. I like to make quilts, so I will sew all the squares together and then iron them to a large scrap fabric or sheet before adding the backing and quilting it.

I imagine this will help a lot in purse making, especially if you are not planning to line the purse.

This makes the fabric so much easier to deal with. Becareful though... make sure you use a stronger needle when sewing thicker materials (especially with the adhesive in there.)

By Virginia

Crafts Recycled CraftsJune 27, 2007
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
🎉
🎄