Keeping Track of Gift Card Balances

Gift cards are a great gift, but keeping track of how much is left requires a method. The method that works for me is to wrap the last receipt around the gift card, since the remaining amount is usually printed there. It is one less thing to keep track of and since they usually hand you the receipt while you still have the card out it has been convenient.

By W. Chaney from Issaquah, WA

When we receive a gift card, I attach a piece of masking tape to the front of it and write the date received and amount on the tape. After use, I enter the new balance on the tape. By doing this, I know which gift card is the "oldest" in case we receive more than 1 card for a particular store/restaurant.

I've found that not all receipts have remaining totals so what I do is attach a 3 x 3 post-it note to the top of the front of the card and fold the bottom around to the backside and that way you can swipe the card without having to take the post-it off ;-) I just deduct the newest purchase to keep a new running total each time a purchase is made.

You can find your balance out at the issuer's website. For example: I have one for Starbuck's my hubby gave me for my birthday. I just go to their website and click the link for gift card balance. Works for me!

Hand with Many Gift Cards Fanned Out
Keeping Track of Gift Card Balances
Budget & Finance ShoppingFebruary 11, 2010
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Gift Card Box
Making a Gift Card Box
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding