Keeping Track of Debit and Credit Card Purchases

My wallet is made to hold both my checkbook and register as well as my cards. When using the debit card I just enter it as a check without the check number (but with the date) and subtract it from the account. It makes it doubly easy to monitor purchases when going over my bank statement.

When using the credit card, I add a little CC to the transaction description and subtract the amount from the account immediately, adding it to a running CC total in the bottom margin. That way I never overspend and always have the money to immediately cover the total credit card bill. It helps me stay disciplined and makes the credit card a tool rather than a temptation.

Since one reason that I keep a credit card is in case I ever have to use it for an emergency, I also round up each amount, which over time has built up a healthy emergency savings in my CC accounting. I have never felt any urge to tap into this since the comfort of knowing that it is there is worth more than any impulse purchase.

By Jeanne from Florida

2 More Solutions

Saving money truly is a struggle, for all of us. When we spend money, whether it be on food, clothing, accessories, entertainment, etc., we don't realize how much we actually spend each day. Writing what you purchased and how much you spent on it is an easy, FREE way to visualize your purchases daily.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 14, 2018
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Track-of-Debit-and-Credit-Card-Purchases.html