I'm looking for a copycat recipe for Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup.
By tbmeyer from Byron Center, MI
There are a lot of links to this recipe on google! Here is one:
I love Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup! Now that we moved to the beach the closest Max and Erma's is an hour away in Myrtle Beach. So here is the recipe that tastes just like the real thing.
&frac; cup butter or margarine
&frac; cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
8 ounces Velveeta process cheese food, cubed
10 oz. can RoTel brand tomatoes and chilies
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
flour tortillas, about 4-6
shredded Colby Jack Cheese or Mexican blend cheese
If I do not have cooked chicken, I cook a chicken breast in the soup pan first then I follow these instructions without washing pot.
1. In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk.
3. Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes, stir until melted.
4. Stir in RoTel, chicken, and spices.
5. Once soup is heated through, it is ready to serve at this point. However, if you wish to make tortilla strips, it can sit over low heat while they are made. Stir the soup occasionally.
For tortilla strips, cut tortillas into strips spray with butter flavored cooking spray and bake in 350 degree oven until crispy. Spoon a ladle of soup into a bowl, top with tortilla strips and shredded cheese.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!