Bookcase Quilt

By Pat Jennings 5 8

This is more of a "don't do this" craft tip. I used some transfer sheets from a local source to print out the pictures and frames for this bookcase uilt. They were the type that are fabric on top with a backing that glues the piece down when you iron it. These are NOT washable! The photos and frames were ruined when washed and I had to remove every one of them from the quilt and do them over. The 2nd set was sealed with an acrylic sealer so that the quilt could be hung on the wall and the photos protected somewhat but it is still not washable. You can see the original before it was washed on webshots. Please save yourself a ton of work and make sure your photo transfers are washable before you use them in a quilt.

Bookcase quilt.

By busybee1952 from White Cloud, MI

Showing: Comments Sort

By SL Edens 1 395 Flag

What a great looking quilt!!!! Such a neat idea. I'm so sorry about it not being washable. Great job and such a wonderful idea!!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Brenda 9 34 Flag

Do you make these to sell????

bludecke AT gmail.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Katie 4 216 Flag

I have NEVER seen a quilt like that. I love, love, love it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You do beautiful work. I can see the love you put into it. You should be very proud of your final project!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hi, Great quilt, is it an original and can you give directions?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I purchased Timeless Treasure fabrics from the Dan Morris novelty line for both the backing and the books. The quilt was made in 3 sections with a brown twill for the bookcase and shelves and a plain black polyester/cotton blend for the background. Pictures of the frames were downloaded from e-bay and then printed off on photo transfer paper. The photos were printed separately and then the frames were appliqued with monofiliment thread over top of the photos. The vase, Lincoln bookends, globe and ship are also photo transfers that have been appliqued with monofiliment. The batting is cotton. I just used a satin stitch at the bottom to make it look like drawers and doors and then sewed on some gold button "knobs". I cut out a kitty from some fleece fabric I had and also appliqued the kitty. I hope these instructions might be helpful for those who want to make their own bookcase quilt.

Pat

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lynda 44 257 Flag

Incredible! It took me several minutes to see the QUILT! It's a LOT of work, dear, and thanks so much for the photo of it to view. God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That is just the neatest thing! I wish i could do that. Never have seen anything like your quilt. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. Thanks for letting us know tho. Very kind of you. Also, Thanks for sharing the quilt! HUGS, Judy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Little Suzy 105 379 Flag

Your quilt is something I have "never" seen before. What a great idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JeanieB 5 16 Flag

Wow! Just Wow!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Patchwork quilt in blue florals.
Quilt Photos
Crafts QuiltingJanuary 16, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Patchwork quilt in blue florals.
Quilt Photos
Bookshelf
Bookshelf Makeover
Bookcase Doll House
Making a Bookcase Doll House
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 1:00:48 PM on 10.0.0.145 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings