Handmade Flower Garden Quilt

I made this quilt quite awhile ago, in the late 80s. It is entirely handmade. I cut the hexagons for each colored flower and strung them on thread in little stacks, to keep the pieces for each block together.

I worked on this project quite a bit during my lunch hour and on a vacation driving trip. I hand stitched the hexagons together and saved the completed flowers. Once they were all made, I then hand pieced the quilt top.

The embroidered flower details were added after the layers were basted. I used a quilting stitch stencil and marked the pattern on the center hexagon.

The final quilting, also hand done, was a simple 1/4 inch outline stitch around all of the full and partial hexagons.

The only machine sewing was when I attached the binding.

The quilt covers a king size bed with a bit of a drape. The DH, to this day still thinks I was crazy. But we both love the quilt.

By R Barbara from Bremerton, WA

Beautiful! GG Vi

How pretty! I have made several of these, love the pattern!

What size did you make each hexagon for the flower? These appear to be a bit bigger than those I've worked with in the past. I believe I could work with a bigger hexagon now that my hands are stiffer with arthritis. Please let me know your measurements on this quilt. It is a beautiful flower garden quilt and I love that it is all done by hand except for the backing. Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. My email is mstitches_cc AT yahoo.com

Thanks, Paula

I am so sorry that I missed this question so long ago. The finished hexagons are 3.25 inches, so with a .25 inch seam allowance the original piece would have been 3.75ish. I too liked the larger size pieces.

Just beautiful. A real keepsake!

This os one of my favorite quilt patterns. I have found when making it that it is easier to stitch the hexigons together goint straight down on the longest line of five, right down the middle. Then four on each side, then the final three on each side. It seems to lay better for me than stitching round and round.

Your work is beautiful and this is one of my favorite patterns.

It's lovely. Good job!

In These Pages
Crafts Quilting PatchworkFebruary 6, 2012
🌻
🎂
📓