RefinishingFurniture

Painting Dark Wood White

I am trying to paint two dark wood antique chairs white. I sanded the chairs, primed them and have applied 3 coats of semi-gloss latex paint with a sponge brush. You can still see the original color of the wood peeking through. Any suggestions how I can finish this project?

Sgt. Tiggs from High Point, NC

I think when you had sanded the chairs you should have applied a sealer prior to the primer. Primer helps paint adhere to the primed surface. It does not hide the previous color you are trying to cover.

I don't know if this will help but we had a 1970's dark paneled family room and I hated the paneling. A friend told me that it could be painted over and how to do it. It wasn't easy but it looks great. I had to paint the room twice with a product called Kilz. Then, I painted it twice with a flat white paint. It was a lot of work but it looks fantastic. It might not be so hard for you since you are doing 2 chairs, not a whole room. I believe you can buy Kilz in a spray can. I don't know about semi-gloss over Kilz. You could ask where you buy the Kilz, like at Home Depot.

I agree with Janiee123. Kilz is a great product, I repainted my ugly dark kitchen cabinets with the Kilz to completely cover the dark wood. Then used a medium blue paint for the final color. At the time we were making some home improvements so we could sell our 3-bedroom home.

Kilz and a really good paint brush. Those sponge ones are ok for very limited projects, but not for the type of coverage you are seeking on the chairs. The quality of the job you do depends entirely on the quality of the tools you use.

I painted dark furniture with rustoleum paint. It works great!

I didn't know that Kilz came in more versions than primer. What about switching to oil paint now?

I just painted a kitchen cabinet for my daughter. We painted a very dark wood with white. It took 4 good coats to make it look right. Hang in there with it. We just had to make sure to let it fully dry between coats. Good luck!