Removing White Lint From Dark Laundry

Category Laundry
White lint spots can easily make freshly washed dark clothes look unwashed. This is a guide about white lint all over dark laundry.

I accidentally threw my husband's dark pants and other dark clothing into the front load washer that I didn't realize, or see already had white towel rags in it. I wasn't even looking, I just took a "hug full" of his dark clothing, threw them in the washer, and started it up.

Well, when I took them out to put them into the dryer and saw the 100 million little lint fibers from the *white towel rags* all over his black pants. The white lint was literally woven into the black fabric. I couldn't believe it, or that I had those white rags in the washer that went through an entire wash cycle with the dark colored clothing.

I took a damp rag and tried swiping the white lint off; that didn't phase it. I took all kinds of hair brushes and tried brushing the black fabric to try and at least loosen up those white lint fibers and nothing happened. I tried packing tape and that didn't work, with a roller tape nothing really stuck, and I even used the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner to try and suck them out of the pants fibers and that did nothing either because the white rag towel fibers were so "woven" into the black pants fibers.

I just sat there beside myself wondering and knowing I couldn't pick every little white cotton fiber out with tweezers, so then, I tried (Velcro) and it worked like a charm! I mean, it did the job without any fret at all.

I just held the little old piece of Velcro between my fingers, and brushed the black pants fabric lightly with the Velcro, and then used tape to dab up all the white fibers that got loosened from the Velcro. It took a bit of time, but nothing else did the trick, and this worked so well, that if that ever happens again, I now know what to do.

This picture with a couple of white fibers left doesn't do the Velcro justice. I just posted this pic to show the little piece of Velcro I worked with, as it came off of something, at some time, and I'd saved it. Yesterday it hit me; "Oh, I can try that too, since I tried everything else."

Who knew it would save the day, and any future mixing of fabric colors when the lint just won't come off.

How can I get a bunch of white lint off a pair of navy blue sweat pants? They were new and I washed them with a new grey sweat shirt.

By Mary

Answers

Run the dark load through another wash/rinse cycle and place them in the dryer. Most or all of the lint should come off.

i tried that and it id not work

Lint removal from clothing.

You will have to wash again and put in the dryer for at least 10 minutes

She already said that she tried that already and it did not work!! Helloooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Add one cup of vinegar to the wash

A diaper got mixed in with my dark load, and now I have wet lint all over my dark clothes. How do I remove the wet lint?

By Jena from Round Rock, TX

Answers:

White Lint All Over Dark Laundry

You will need to rinse the clothes several times to remove the wet lint. Or let the clothes dry outside on a line, then shake them to remove the lint. It won't all come off, thought. Maybe throw them in the dryer, some more might come off, then rewash the clothes. It will take a few tries to remove the lint. Good luck. (10/27/2009)

By OliveOyl

White Lint All Over Dark Laundry

Wash again, place in dryer and whatever lint remains can me removed by using masking tape portion by portion like when using a pet fur remover roller. (10/28/2009)

By Ann

White Lint All Over Dark Laundry

1. Make sure your lint filter is empty of lint.
  2. If you use fabric softener, clean the screen part of the lint filter with warm water, dish soap and a "soft" brush or a sponge. You want the softener residue off, but don't want to tear the screen.

3. Replace the screen, dampen the clothes and then run them through the dryer again. The cleaned filter should capture all the lint. It just occurred to me that you might be using a laundromat dryer. Ask the manager to clean the screen.

(10/29/2009)

By susan winship

White Lint All Over Dark Laundry

Run the clothes through the rinse cycle with vinegar in the water and use cold. I would divide the load in half to have more room for the water to get around the clothes. Then if at all possible line dry them, or if not, dry them and on the last few minutes use the fluff cycle. This should take away most of the lint. Then what little is left, I roll duct tape around my hand with the sticky side out and use like a giant size lint brush. (10/29/2009)

By debbie

White Lint All Over Dark Laundry

Put back in washer with 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup fabric softener on rinse cycle. I did have a yard of net tulle I added to the dryer and that worked. Be sure to clean the lint trap a few times if it is towel or rug fuzz. (10/13/2010)

By Kiki