Older Dishwasher Not Drying Dishes

Our 38 yr. old Hobart Kitchenaid dishwasher is doing a poor job of drying the dishes. What part should we be looking to replace? We're having a problem finding a place with replacement parts for such an old machine. Thanks.

By Martha

You're very lucky to be able to to get 38 years of service from a dishwasher. It's time to go shopping for a new one.

Yep, time to shop around for a new machine or just hand dry the old fashioned way and at least the washing part is still being taken care of for you if you don't want to purchase a new one. ;-)

I don't like to use the electricity required to have my dishwasher dry my dishes, so I open the dishwasher just before the drying cycle starts. The dishes are quite hot at this point and will airdry in just a few minutes. I can either put them away after a little while or leave them overnight and quickly put them away in the morning when I first go into the kitchen. I have found this to not add significantly to my morning routine and I have saved a signifcant amount on my electric bill.

With the age it would probably be so expensive that you can buy a new dishwasher for about the same price. Shop around and see what you can find for a good decent price and in the meantime let them air dry. Open the door. Slide bottom rack all the way out and top rack about halfway out and let sit until they are dry. Sometimes the tops of this will pool water but just grab a small towel or a couple of paper towels and soak up the water. Not hard to do.

I agree with "jsham" about opening the door before the drying cycle starts. I try to do this also as it does dry them better this way and I do save significant amt on my electric bill.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances DishwasherMay 9, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎄