Watermelon Flower Pots

Kelli Mahoney

I love painted flowerpots, and I think in the spring they make a fun statement. One of the most popular outdoor motifs is watermelon. I have watermelon cups, plates, and pitchers, so I decided that I wanted to make watermelon flowerpots to match. This set is small enough for starter seeds in the spring, or even an herb garden.

• 3 small terra cotta flowerpots
  • 1 large terra cotta saucer (big enough for all three pots to sit in)
  • acrylic paint in the following colors:
    • forest green
    • light green
    • white
    • true red
    • black

• large paintbrush
  • small paintbrush
  • very small paintbrush or a toothpick
  • waterproof varnish/seal

Instructions:

1. Using the red paint, paint the bottom part of the flowerpots and the inside of the saucer. You will want to use at least two coats, as you do not want to see the terra cotta through the paint. On the flowerpots, paint up to the ridge.
  2. Use forest green paint and paint just the ridge and the inside of the flowerpots.
  3. Using the same forest green paint, paint the ridge and the entire outside of the saucer. Again, use two coats to be sure you cannot see any terra cotta through the paint.
  4. Take the black paint and put teardrops randomly in the red part of the flowerpots and the saucer. These will be the seeds. If you need to, you can draw the teardrops on in pencil and then fill them in.
  5. Using the light green paint, put a little on the paintbrush and then "dry" the paint off on a paper towel (just put some paint on the brush and take most of it off on a paper towel). In a back and forth motion, make 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch vertical lines on the ridge of the flowerpots. The dry brush will give your watermelon "rind" a more authentic feel.
  6. On the saucer, do the same thing, but take the ridges down to a point in the center of the saucer-base.
  7. Ad

8. Using the white paint and the dry brush technique, make a small, vertical columns in the light green columns. This adds a highlight to the markings.
  9. Using the very small paintbrush or a toothpick, dip it in the white paint. At the base of each "seed" put a parentheses mark. This adds a highlight to the seed.
  10. Let your flowerpots dry overnight. Even though they may feel dry to the touch, they will not be fully dry for 24 hours.
  11. Paint or spray on your varnish or seal. Follow the directions on the side of your sealant and do it outside. You will want to use something waterproof to protect your plants and the paint.
  12. Let the sealant dry. Then feel free to plant whatever you would like in the pots.

What a darling idea!!! I love this!!!

THESE ARE SO CUTE. AND I LOVE THE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS

I am wanting to start my own herb garden this spring and I am thinking these would be so cute as my flower pots for my herbs. Thanks so much.

Cute idea and now I can't wait for fresh watermelons.

Wonderful idea. A great Mother's Day gift!

Thanks for the excellent instructions! Contest winner looks like!

You are so creative. Thank you for the thorough instructions. Very nice idea!

How cute.Thanks for the idea.

Very clever.

Painting Pots White
Painting Terra Cotta Clay Pots
Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersApril 11, 2006
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
terra cotta flower pot person
Crafts Using Terra Cotta Flower Pots
Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon Sorbet Recipes
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
🎄