PlumbingHome

Dawn Detergent To Unclog Drain

If your kitchen sink is clogged with grease, the best thing I've ever found is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. I plug the drain and put a huge squirt, maybe 1/2 cup, in the sink. Then I fill the sink with boiling water. Once it's full I pull the plug (use tongs or something, that water is HOT). Let it run down the drain and bingo, clean as a whistle. If it's really bad, you might have to do it twice, but I've never had to do it more than that. I had someone put bacon grease down and it was completely blocked with a wad of grease. It only took two applications to clear and it was one of this dinky trailer sinks.

Source: From my great friend and sister, Tracy!

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Top Comment

I put the Dawn down the drain first, a couple of minutes before putting the water in. Then as soon as all the water is down the drain I put the plug in to keep the heat in longer. Worked great for me!

I put way to much spoiled lettuce into the sink/garbage disposal. I ran the disposal but the green water kept coming up. I read all the vinegar and baking soda tips below, and one said they used a plunger too. I didn't have the baking soda and there was water in the sink, so I just got our heavy duty plunger, plunged about 10 times, and voila, it came clear.