Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I have suffered from severe post nasal drip since 2008. I do not understand why. I went to an allergist but that did not seem to help. It drips so bad that it is collecting in my throat and cuts off my airway. It seems to be getting worse since I started my allergy shots.

I am desperate to find something that will stop the post nasal drip. I also need to find something that will clear that mucus out so I can breathe better. I feel like I am suffocating. I do not know how to get it out. I spit most of the day but that does not really help much. Please help me.

By Carol

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try a neti-pot. It has helped me.

Suggestion would be to reconsider the shots, if they aren't making it better. And neti pot type nasal irrigation.

You need to cut coffee, dairy and sugar from your diet. These three things make allergies worse and your post nasal drip. Try it for a week and see how you go. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Are you taking blood pressure meds? These will sometimes cause this. Talk to your DR if so. A decongestant made from natural plants is Musinex. It works for a lot of people.

Forget the Neti pot, to messy. Use NeilMed. Just squeeze the bottle into one nostril after inserting a packet of solution and warm water. It will return out the other nostril bringing out the "stuff" with it. Wonderful.

Make it your daily routine.

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your suffering with this and for so long. I relate. I'll tell you what I learned, maybe it will help.

I was tested by an allergist Dr. and found I was allergic to my cat and cigarettes. I smoked. I kept my cat.

If I were you, I'd get tested first to see what's going on. Sometimes a person has nasal polyps (growths) in the sinuses that causes drips; not just allergies do. But I'd find out first by an allergist doctor (ear, nose & throat dr), then by holistic means. Something to think about.

Then many years later I went to a holistic dr. who tested me and she found I was allergic to wheat. I started eating bread, etc. made with spelt and my drip went away. Completely.

She also said for me to stop eating: products made with yeast; fermented food like pickles. Now believe me this cuts down on most of life's food normal people eat. Like catsup, crackers. I started shopping at the health food store, but it got too expensive. I guess I could have made my own bread & crackers from spelt (I used to do these things, but ran out of time and inclination. Call me lazy.) A loaf of spelt bread ran - 15 yrs. ago - almost $5. And it was two of us eating at my house.

But now I manage with saline nasal spray. You can buy it at any drugstore, Walgreens, CVS, buy it from their sites too. Whenever I start with pollen problems I use it, or stuffed nose. You can use it as often as you want because it's harmless - cheap too. I do throw the bottle out after I've experienced a pollen problem though; like now it's recommended to throw out a toothbrush after a cold.

I try to wear only natural fabrics, cotton, silk, but especially when it's pollen time. I know you get drips all the time and so do I but these things help me.

I change my clothes every time I go in and out of the house; yes, tons of laundry, but it's helped so much I do it gladly.

I use the air conditioning in the car and house only; no open windows in either. Not refreshing, but it works for me.

When I come in from shopping or outdoors I always wash my hands (I do this anyway), face, run some lukewarm water in a little up my nose - gets rid of pollen on nose hairs. Brush my hair really well too. Sometimes I just use baby wipes and run them over my hair too.

All this has really helped me. Plus I take grapeseed, olive leaf, oregano oil supplements for my immune system. Unbelievable results!

I have Epstein Barr (immune disease) anyway, but following all of the above, I almost never get a cold and it's been years since I got the flu.

I'm not cured, but I feel better.

I so hope you find a solution. Maybe somethings here will help you. Get better soon. Bless your heart.

Try the saline spray. It's cheap and it usually cuts down on the post-nasal drip even if it doesn't entirely stop it.

Stop eating dairy foods if you do.

Anyone have any real remedies, not something that masks or temporarily removes it? My body laughs at the saline crap, and the netipot can't get through the gunk in one nostril let alone two. I haven't gotten a good night's rest in about 3 months! Real advice only, like what I should ask for when I see my doctor.

I have the same problem of post nasal drip, not as bad as you though. Its constantly building up and dripping at the back of my throat and can cause bad breath, yuck! I actually cut out all sugar and dairy from my diet (switched to unsweetened soy milk) and ate fresh veggies, some fruits and whole grains, meats, etc. I noticed a huge difference within a couple of weeks! I was doing well for nearly a year until I recently started eating a whole lot of cheesy foods and lots of sugar again and wow, my post nasal drip came back! Time to cut all that crap out and I know it will go away again. It's worth trying, you end up feeling great all over anyway b/c you are eating better!

Grapefruit Seed Extract is not harmful it is a natural substance. I used a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle. I filled it with warm (previously boiled) tap water and 8 drops of Nutribiotic GFSE and following the directions cleaned my sinuses (after feeling like I was coming down with a sinus infection) I feel much better.

Answer

I have been suffering from post nasal drip for the last 3 years. Does anyone have any ideas on how to treat this condition? It is depressing.

By scuba one from Yonkers

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Vitamin C is also good for post nasal drip and sinus problems. Good luck. (05/04/2010)

By kffrmw88

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Having been a lifetime sufferer of allergies, I'm going to recommend the things that helped me.

First, I wouldn't necessarily say antihistamines (benadryl, claritin, etc). Though if you do any, try the daily like claritin - not the hourly like benadryl. You want a decongestant to actually dry the drip.

However, I'd put more emphasis on a saline nasal rinse for two reasons. First, often these drips can be because of a sinus infection. I had a horrible sinus infection for weeks, and finally was able to treat it with the rinses. It was amazing how quick that helped. The rinses will help shrink mucus membranes, decrease the irritation that causes the fluid dripping. It's amazing! You don't even have to buy the neti pot, although I would recommend the saline packets. Of course, boosting your immunity also help.

Also, examine your home environment - look under sinks for leaks and mildew, really consider your air quality, and treat your bedding for mites. These things can all cause great nasal irritation and go unseen. Good luck! (05/04/2010)

By threehorses

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I used to have hay-fever really bad, in addition to having a slight allergy to my cats. Then I started taking 1 capsule of fenugreek every morning and am not bothered by any symptoms. In addition, since it is an herb, you don't have the added worry of taxing your kidneys and liver. (05/04/2010)

By dragonswing

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

First, I'd get myself to a doctor asap. See what he says. Then I'd go to a doctor and find out if you have any allergies. But I have allergies, too, and what never fails is a saline nose spray. I buy it at any drugstore, Walmart, Target, etc. in the US. Saline is non-addictive and it washes away whatever is in your nasal cavity or sinuses.

You can also try a Neti Pot which is like a little tea pot you fill with saline solution - they must give the recipe on the box. Same principal, but you have to put the spout in your nose and tilt the saline into your nose. Too much trouble for me, it sounds messy, but my step daughter uses it and is quite happy with the results.

Is it allergy time where you live; pollen all over the place? It is here in Houston, TX USA right now. I read this in a magazine and do it faithfully now:

Every time I go outside I change my clothes when I come home; I'm not bringing the pollen in too far into the house. Then I either brush out my hair vigorously and/or run baby wipes through it to take out the pollen. I take plain water and rinse out the hairs in my nose (or saline spray). I take baby wipes and wash my face, neck, ears and every other part of my body that was exposed. Be especially careful and wash your hands right away when you come in.
Never sleep in the clothes you wore outside - sometimes I fall asleep in my clothes! Do this every single time you go in/out of the house.

Keep the windows closed in your house and car. In the car, use the air conditioner button that recirculates the same air in your car; not the button that takes the air from the outside and then cools it inside the car. Don't rub your eyes or nose while you're outside. Use the hose and hose down everything you can in your yard, car, what you can easily reach on the outside of the house, patio furniture, your deck or patio. Yes, you better believe it makes for a ton of laundry, but I hardly ever get allergic reactions from pollen now.

You also might try apple cider vinegar tablets. I buy these either from the drugstore by the vitamins or online. Vinegar takes away the acidity in the body; viruses can't grow in your body where the vinegar neutralizes your blood. Viruses only grow in acid blood. I usually take 1, three times a day. You can also take one tablespoon in an 8 oz. glass of water; it can't hurt you at all. Plus it detoxifies the body of impurities.

I don't take prescriptions hardly at all anymore. I think I've built up some type of immunity from the pollen, but if I don't do the above, I get the usual allergy symptoms.

Good luck to you. BUT, please go to a doctor first! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

This is only a temporary solution, but when I feel that gunk going down my throat, I breathe through my mouth for half a minute or so. I purse my lips a bit, blow in as hard as I can, then blow out in the same manner. It dries up your mouth, but it also dries up a lot of that gunk. Good luck to you. I know how yucky that is. (05/05/2010)

By kitkatk100

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Mix 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Cup some of the mixture into the palm of your hand, snort into your nose and throw back your head. Salt reduces swelling and swollen nasal membranes seem to be the culprit. The mixture will drain down into your throat as well, easing any discomfort there. I immediately blow my nose and have relief in minutes. It doesn't always last real long, but there's no problem doing it again in a few hours. It is the only thing that helps with my sinus pain. It must help reduce pressure put on nerves by the swelling. It's the best treatment I've ever tried for sinus pressure, pain and post-nasal drip. Do give it a try! Lots of luck! (05/05/2010)

By dusty6788

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I would start by seeing a doctor, possibly an ear, eye, and nose doctor. He or she will be able to tell you if you have allergies and if they are seasonal or chronic. I take a homeopathic "medicine" for allergies which helps. (05/05/2010)

By Maryeileen

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Neti pot - while it sounds and sometimes is YUCKY, it has kept me sinus infection free and free of over the counter meds for post nasal drip. It comes with saline powder you mix with warm water to irrigate the sinus passages, it soothes and rinses out the sinuses. I do it in the shower, not every morning but every other morning during high pollen season, then taper off until I feel the post drip coming on. It's been a life saver. Get over the yuck factor and do yourself a favor, get a Neti pot, I've been buying it ($10) for everyone I know who is suffering with sinus infections, those who do it are eternally grateful, those who don't are still crying about their allergies. (05/13/2010)

By diamondlil54

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

In response to Kevin's post about grapefruit seed extract (gse) and alcohol. I have been using nutribiotic's gse for the past seven or so years, when needed, and it is great! It helps with an upset stomach and my sore throats due to pnd and earaches. I love the stuff, and it is not dangerous.

While hard alcohol might initially make you feel better with some immediate pain-reducing effects, you will pay later. Alcohol shuts down glandular functions, primarily that of the pituitary gland, which is responsible for generating serotonin (the stuff that makes us happy), and it will only make your head feel like it is in more of a fog than it already is from all the stuffiness and allergies. I'm a southerner and speak from experience when I say Granny's whiskey only made me feel worse as a kid.

Also, ditto on the neti pots - they're awesome. (06/18/2010)

By Swaran6

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been suffering from post nasal drip for the last 3 weeks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a major problem with post nasal drip and have tried everything over the counter. I have been to the doctor 2 times and nothing he gave me helped. What can I do? It's driving me nuts.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 20, 2010
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 10:17:35 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.