Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Category Home Remedies
This guide is about remedies for post nasal drip. Allergies and food sensitivities can cause irritating excessive sinus mucus.

I have suffered from severe post nasal drip since 2008. I do not understand why. I went to an allergist but that did not seem to help. It drips so bad that it is collecting in my throat and cuts off my airway. It seems to be getting worse since I started my allergy shots.

I am desperate to find something that will stop the post nasal drip. I also need to find something that will clear that mucus out so I can breathe better. I feel like I am suffocating. I do not know how to get it out. I spit most of the day but that does not really help much. Please help me.

By Carol

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Forget the Neti pot, too messy. Use NeilMed. Just squeeze the bottle into one nostril after inserting a packet of solution and warm water. It will return out the other nostril bringing out the "stuff" with it. Wonderful.

Make it your daily routine.

Best Answer

Try the saline spray. It's cheap and it usually cuts down on the post-nasal drip even if it doesn't entirely stop it.

Best Answer

Grapefruit seed extract is not harmful it is a natural substance. I used a NeilMed sinus rinse bottle. I filled it with warm (previously boiled) tap water and 8 drops of Nutribiotic GFSE and following the directions cleaned my sinuses (after feeling like I was coming down with a sinus infection) I feel much better.

Suggestion would be to reconsider the shots, if they aren't making it better. And neti pot type nasal irrigation.

You need to cut coffee, dairy and sugar from your diet. These three things make allergies worse and your post nasal drip. Try it for a week and see how you go. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Are you taking blood pressure meds? These will sometimes cause this. Talk to your DR if so. A decongestant made from natural plants is Musinex. It works for a lot of people.

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your suffering with this and for so long. I relate. I'll tell you what I learned, maybe it will help.

I was tested by an allergist Dr. and found I was allergic to my cat and cigarettes. I smoked. I kept my cat.

If I were you, I'd get tested first to see what's going on. Sometimes a person has nasal polyps (growths) in the sinuses that causes drips; not just allergies do. But I'd find out first by an allergist doctor (ear, nose & throat dr), then by holistic means. Something to think about.

Then many years later I went to a holistic dr. who tested me and she found I was allergic to wheat. I started eating bread, etc. made with spelt and my drip went away. Completely.

She also said for me to stop eating: products made with yeast; fermented food like pickles. Now believe me this cuts down on most of life's food normal people eat. Like catsup, crackers. I started shopping at the health food store, but it got too expensive. I guess I could have made my own bread & crackers from spelt (I used to do these things, but ran out of time and inclination. Call me lazy.) A loaf of spelt bread ran - 15 yrs. ago - almost $5. And it was two of us eating at my house.

But now I manage with saline nasal spray. You can buy it at any drugstore, Walgreens, CVS, buy it from their sites too. Whenever I start with pollen problems I use it, or stuffed nose. You can use it as often as you want because it's harmless - cheap too. I do throw the bottle out after I've experienced a pollen problem though; like now it's recommended to throw out a toothbrush after a cold.

I try to wear only natural fabrics, cotton, silk, but especially when it's pollen time. I know you get drips all the time and so do I but these things help me.

I change my clothes every time I go in and out of the house; yes, tons of laundry, but it's helped so much I do it gladly.

I use the air conditioning in the car and house only; no open windows in either. Not refreshing, but it works for me.

When I come in from shopping or outdoors I always wash my hands (I do this anyway), face, run some lukewarm water in a little up my nose - gets rid of pollen on nose hairs. Brush my hair really well too. Sometimes I just use baby wipes and run them over my hair too.

All this has really helped me. Plus I take grapeseed, olive leaf, oregano oil supplements for my immune system. Unbelievable results!

I have Epstein Barr (immune disease) anyway, but following all of the above, I almost never get a cold and it's been years since I got the flu.

I'm not cured, but I feel better.

I so hope you find a solution. Maybe somethings here will help you. Get better soon. Bless your heart.

Anonymous

Stop eating dairy foods if you do.

I have the same problem of post nasal drip, not as bad as you though. Its constantly building up and dripping at the back of my throat and can cause bad breath, yuck! I actually cut out all sugar and dairy from my diet (switched to unsweetened soy milk) and ate fresh veggies, some fruits and whole grains, meats, etc. I noticed a huge difference within a couple of weeks! I was doing well for nearly a year until I recently started eating a whole lot of cheesy foods and lots of sugar again and wow, my post nasal drip came back! Time to cut all that crap out and I know it will go away again. It's worth trying, you end up feeling great all over anyway b/c you are eating better!

Hi, I am curious, since I have the same problem, are you still better? And what kind of fruits did you not eat? could you eat cooked veggies etc?

Thanks!

I have been suffering from post nasal drip for the last 3 years. Does anyone have any ideas on how to treat this condition? It is depressing.

By scuba one from Yonkers

Answers:

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Vitamin C is also good for post nasal drip and sinus problems. Good luck. (05/04/2010)

By kffrmw88

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Having been a lifetime sufferer of allergies, I'm going to recommend the things that helped me.

First, I wouldn't necessarily say antihistamines (benadryl, Claritin, etc). Though if you do any, try the daily like Claritin - not the hourly like benadryl. You want a decongestant to actually dry the drip.

However, I'd put more emphasis on a saline nasal rinse for two reasons. First, often these drips can be because of a sinus infection. I had a horrible sinus infection for weeks, and finally was able to treat it with the rinses. It was amazing how quick that helped. The rinses will help shrink mucus membranes, decrease the irritation that causes the fluid dripping. It's amazing! You don't even have to buy the Neti pot, although I would recommend the saline packets. Of course, boosting your immunity also helps.

Also, examine your home environment - look under sinks for leaks and mildew, really consider your air quality, and treat your bedding for mites. These things can all cause great nasal irritation and go unseen. Good luck! (05/04/2010)

By threehorses

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I used to have hay-fever really bad, in addition to having a slight allergy to my cats. Then I started taking 1 capsule of fenugreek every morning and am not bothered by any symptoms. In addition, since it is an herb, you don't have the added worry of taxing your kidneys and liver. (05/04/2010)

By dragonswing

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

First, I'd get myself to a doctor asap. See what he says. Then I'd go to a doctor and find out if you have any allergies. But I have allergies, too, and what never fails is a saline nose spray. I buy it at any drugstore, Walmart, Target, etc. in the US. saline is non-addictive and it washes away whatever is in your nasal cavity or sinuses.

You can also try a Neti Pot which is like a little tea pot you fill with saline solution - they must give the recipe on the box. Same principal, but you have to put the spout in your nose and tilt the saline into your nose. Too much trouble for me, it sounds messy, but my step daughter uses it and is quite happy with the results.

Is it allergy time where you live; pollen all over the place? It is here in Houston, TX USA right now. I read this in a magazine and do it faithfully now:

Every time I go outside I change my clothes when I come home; I'm not bringing the pollen in too far into the house. Then I either brush out my hair vigorously and/or run baby wipes through it to take out the pollen. I take plain water and rinse out the hairs in my nose (or saline spray). I take baby wipes and wash my face, neck, ears, and every other part of my body that was exposed. Be especially careful and wash your hands right away when you come in.
Never sleep in the clothes you wore outside - sometimes I fall asleep in my clothes! Do this every single time you go in/out of the house.

Keep the windows closed in your house and car. In the car, use the air conditioner button that recirculates the same air in your car; not the button that takes the air from the outside and then cools it inside the car. Don't rub your eyes or nose while you're outside. Use the hose and hose down everything you can in your yard, car, what you can easily reach on the outside of the house, patio furniture, your deck or patio. Yes, you better believe it makes for a ton of laundry, but I hardly ever get allergic reactions from pollen now.

You also might try apple cider vinegar tablets. I buy these either from the drugstore by the vitamins or online. Vinegar takes away the acidity in the body; viruses can't grow in your body where the vinegar neutralizes your blood. Viruses only grow in acid blood. I usually take 1, three times a day. You can also take one tablespoon in an 8 oz. glass of water; it can't hurt you at all. Plus it detoxifies the body of impurities.

I don't take prescriptions hardly at all anymore. I think I've built up some type of immunity from the pollen, but if I don't do the above, I get the usual allergy symptoms.

Good luck to you. BUT, please go to a doctor first! (05/05/2010)

By metroplex

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

This is only a temporary solution, but when I feel that gunk going down my throat, I breathe through my mouth for half a minute or so. I purse my lips a bit, blow in as hard as I can, then blow out in the same manner. It dries up your mouth, but it also dries up a lot of that gunk. Good luck to you. I know how yucky that is. (05/05/2010)

By kitkatk100

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Mix 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Cup some of the mixture into the palm of your hand, snort into your nose and throw back your head. Salt reduces swelling and swollen nasal membranes seem to be the culprit. The mixture will drain down into your throat as well, easing any discomfort there. I immediately blow my nose and have relief in minutes. It doesn't always last really long, but there's no problem doing it again in a few hours. It is the only thing that helps with my sinus pain. It must help reduce pressure put on nerves by the swelling. It's the best treatment I've ever tried for sinus pressure, pain and post-nasal drip. Do give it a try! Lots of luck! (05/05/2010)

By dusty6788

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I would start by seeing a doctor, possibly an ear, eye, and nose doctor. He or she will be able to tell you if you have allergies and if they are seasonal or chronic. I take a homeopathic "medicine" for allergies which helps. (05/05/2010)

By Maryeileen

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Neti pot - while it sounds and sometimes is YUCKY, it has kept me sinus infection free and free of over the counter meds for post nasal drip. It comes with saline powder you mix with warm water to irrigate the sinus passages, it soothes and rinses out the sinuses. I do it in the shower, not every morning but every other morning during high pollen season, then taper off until I feel the post drip coming on. It's been a life saver. Get over the yuck factor and do yourself a favor, get a Neti pot, I've been buying it ($10) for everyone I know who is suffering with sinus infections, those who do it are eternally grateful, those who don't are still crying about their allergies. (05/13/2010)

By diamondlil54

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

In response to Kevin's post about grapefruit seed extract (gse) and alcohol. I have been using nutribiotic's gse for the past seven or so years, when needed, and it is great! It helps with an upset stomach and my sore throats due to pnd and earaches. I love the stuff, and it is not dangerous.

While hard alcohol might initially make you feel better with some immediate pain-reducing effects, you will pay later. Alcohol shuts down glandular functions, primarily that of the pituitary gland, which is responsible for generating serotonin (the stuff that makes us happy), and it will only make your head feel like it is in more of a fog than it already is from all the stuffiness and allergies. I'm a southerner and speak from experience when I say Granny's whiskey only made me feel worse as a kid.

Also, ditto on the neti pots - they're awesome. (06/18/2010)

By Swaran6

I have been suffering from post nasal drip for the last 3 weeks. I am currently using a nasal wash (saline), Vicks Vapour Rub, a decongestant cough syrup, garlic, C and horseradish tablets (Nature's Own), and I have also started drinking a lot more water.

The symptoms seem to have reduced a little, but I still have the lump in my throat which is very annoying and frustrating. I find it hard to sleep sometimes, although laying down seems to make it feel a lot better than sitting up. I was using a nasal spray as well which I used for approximately 2 weeks, but I found was making me feel worse.

I find talking a lot seems to make it a lot worse as well, which makes it hard considering I work as a customer service representative. Can anyone recommend anything else for me to try? Thanks.

By Mel585 from Australia

Answers:

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Try an over the counter antihistamine like Benadryl or it's generic equivalent. It dries up the secretions. (08/17/2009)

By OliveOyl

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

Besides seeing and ear, nose, throat specialist, which should be at the top of your list. You can try Nasal Crom if it is avail where you live. It is a nasal spray avail over the counter. In USA it is $7-$14 at Walmart, 2 different sizes. It can be used every 4 hours, and has no rebound or "addictive" properties like Afrin type sprays do.

The active ingredient is cromolin sodium, which was used in breathing treatments for asthma.
Best of luck to you, but do try the doctor first if at all possible. There are many serious health problems that could be the cause of your condition. (08/17/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

With your mentioning of the lump in your throat (and the duration of this nasal drip) I really think you should see a doctor. (08/20/2009)

By Deeli

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

My home remedy for post nasal drip is to stand in the shower with warm water running over the sinuses for as long as I can. This liquefies the drainage and when I step out of the shower, I blow my nose to clear my head. I do this as often as necessary, but since you work, in the AM and PM should keep the drainage reduced. This gets rid of the phlegm and reduces the infection risks because you get rid of the phlegm and as much doesn't drain into your stomach. When I feel "stuffy" I immediately start the regimen to prevent a serious issue. I have reduced the number of times I've been sick during the year. Good luck. (08/21/2009)

By mklema92658

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I'd see a doctor if I were you. In the meantime, here is a recipe for a drink that I really like when I have a sore throat:

Hot Lemonade

• 3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped sugared ginger*
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 4 tablespoons honey

Bring water to a boil, add ginger and cloves, steep for 10 minutes. Pour into a glass quart jar. Add lemon juice, honey, and enough water to fill the quart jar. Strain and serve hot. May also be kept chilled in fridge and heat as needed. Leaving the ginger and cloves in the lemonade increases the strength. If the pieces of ginger are large, chop in a food processor along with a few tablespoons of sugar, store in an airtight container.

*Sometimes sold as crystallized ginger. (08/21/2009)

By Allison

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I get these all the time. My doctor gave me a full explanation about the drip and he told me what to do so I wouldn't waste my time coming in for the same thing. The drip causes the sore throat or lump in your throat. Usually occurs when you're sleeping or can occur throughout the day. You'll know if you wake up with a sore throat. This becomes a problem if the drip turns to a cough and later can cause fluid in the lungs, or spitting up phlem. If either of these occur you should see a doctor.

Green phelm means infection. However in the mean time he recommended taking over the counter items to stop the drip at night (which is when mine occurs most often), lozenges during the day so you don't feel drowsy or groggy at work. Read the box at the store to find what you need. You don't need a product that covers 50 ailments just the minimum. You can take something during the day too to open the sinuses to drain and stop clogging at night, but that depends on what your issues are during the day. Hope this helps. (09/03/2009)

By kimcar09

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

I have suffered allergies for most of my 50 years and can tell you now, that other than finding out exactly what you are allergic or sensitive to and being treated for that problem, shots or allergy tablets, is the only real solution to post nasal drip. I myself use Alavert when the various pollens and molds are really high. I only use as needed, keep my nose blown (don't blow too hard or you will damage the linings of your sinuses), and when I get that "tickle" that makes me cough I sip at unsweetened lemon tea or water with lemon in it.

This usually keeps me from getting a sinus infection, which if not taken care of immediately, it then turns to bronchitis and then to pneumonia. It is very wise to go to the doc even when you just blow yellow from your nose as this means the start of a sinus upset and green simply means the infection is worse. I have also had the lump in my throat that is very annoying. Usually, once I took the antibiotics for the sinus infection, the lump also went away.

There are also a few medicines that I can't take because they cause a lump inside my throat. Most pharmacists, or their computer read-outs on a product, will tell you (under side effects) that if you feel a lump in your throat to contact your doctor immediately. Some long-term medicines can also cause this after being taken for a long time and the prescription has to be changed for a while. (09/08/2009)

By Juanita S.

Remedies for Post Nasal Drip

To all those who suffer from cold related problems, I want to say this. I was also some one who suffered a lot due to the frequent cold, post nasal drip, etc. I had tried many remedies some times desperately. I used to search on the internet for remedies. Some remedies used to give me partial cure and relief, but nothing was a permanent solution. Finally a couple of months ago I happened to read a news in the news paper about green tea and its capabilities to control cold related problems.

I tried this and can say now that this worked absolutely fine for me. I drink 7-8 glasses of green tea a day now, but without adding milk and sugar. I want you too to try this and I am confident that it will give you at least a major relief from your cold related problems. Please remember that it will be difficult to drink green tea without sugar and milk initially, but you will definitely get used to it and it will definitely bring you results. All the best. (03/17/2010)

By arafeek

I have a major problem with post nasal drip and have tried everything over the counter. I have been to the doctor 2 times and nothing he gave me helped. What can I do? It's driving me nuts.