How Long Does Nicotine Remain in the Bloodstream?

How long does nicotine stay in my blood?

By deydamia from Newalbany, IN

I've always heard it is three days but to give you an accurate answer I looked it up on a few medical sites. Glad you asked the question and I looked because it's nice to know the old standard I always heard is incorrect. ;-)

Depending on your system it can still be in the blood for up to twenty days and in your urine for about four days. It also depends on the amount and frequency of nicotine you use that your liver needs to process out of your body via the kidneys.

When I quit smoking, at 10 days I didn't have the super urge to smoke. Good luck.

From the American Heart Association website:

How long does nicotine stay in the body?

From 85-90 percent of nicotine in the blood is metabolized by the liver and excreted from the kidney rapidly. The estimated half-life for nicotine in the blood is two hours. However, smoking represents a multiple dosing situation with considerable accumulation during smoking. Therefore, it can be expected that blood nicotine would persist at significant levels for six to eight hours after smoking stopped.

A girl breaking a cigarette in half.
Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 30, 2010
A woman breaking a cigarette in half.
Coping With the Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
Ashtray Full of Cigarettes
Removing Nicotine Stains on Clothing
Smoking in Car
Removing Nicotine Residue from a Car Interior
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎄