Dyeing Carpet

Category Miscellaneous
Worn, stained, or faded carpet can find a second life after a dye job. This is a guide about dyeing carpet.

I have a pal whose family members used hair coloring to dye their carpeting. It worked successfully. So if you're planning on new flooring, you might want to do this, rather than what you were originally planning.

By Terri from NV

pleses give us some details on how they did it.great idea.

Can you dye or stain carpet? We got a fixer up house and the carpet is orange, but is in good shape after I cleaned it. Thanks for any ides.

By Jan from OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

A friend of mine had a relative who was considering using dye on her carpet and so I did a lot of research for her on the 'net and price checking to help her decide if this was the route she really wanted to take. Here's what I learned:

Yes, carpet can be dyed and reasonably affordable, but it also has its downside. Only the lightest color of carpet can give close to the true dye color you want. (white or pale shades) You will get off colors from the dye in your carpet (orange) in your case and it may not be the color you really want after applying dye. The orange coloring mixed w another color will give a whole new color. The type of carpet fiber also influences whether dye will take and the biggest question, Is it colorfast? It can bleed onto your fabric furniture and ruin it. Willing to take that chance?

My suggestion to you is to use an old orange colored carpet first with the same kind of carpeting as in your room and see how it does if you can get a hold of one. You might try a carpet shop and see if they have those square samples in the color close to your own carpet and try it out on that. it won't cost much to get one of those to check out your idea on.

If it were me, I'd live with what you've got and then replace when the time comes as it may streak and not evenly color blend. Good luck if you choose to dye the carpet.

You could also use an area rug over the carpeting. It wouldn't cover the whole carpeting, but would tone it down some.

If you decide to replace the carpet, here is a hint. Your best deal will be at a Lowe's or Home Depot, but by pass the area where they have all the samples. In the back of the store they have in stock carpet on large rolls. Some of it is only 58 cants a foot. I bought a piece of 12x12 feet for 129 dollars which was not the least expensive. It is something to consider. The Berber is the best.

My carpet is a beige color and is showing its age. Is there a way to dye it a little darker color (maybe a dark beige) without spending a fortune doing it?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Best Answer

Yes it is very possible. We had some stained and old light beige carpet in a very large room. We rented a rug doctor, got a big thing of vinegar and some brown rit dye and we dyed the carpet. it looked so much better when we were done, and costed just a fraction of what it would have if we had bought new carpet.

I wasn't quite sure how I got these bleached looking spots on my carpet then I realized they came from an acne medication that I had been using. Will someone please tell me how to dye the carpet? The color of the carpet is beige. Thank you.

By Amy from Miami, FL

Answers:

Dyeing Carpet

When I used to install carpet my boss recommended people use a permanent marker for discoloration and spots. Buy a marker that matches your carpet and color back to color. (11/27/2009)

By Suntydt

Dyeing Carpet

Depending on the size of the spot, you can use fabric paint. It comes in a zillion colors at the craft store. I used it on my bathroom carpet after I spilled a couple drops of bleach on it. You just get a watercolor paintbrush, dab a bit of fabric paint on the spot, and let it dry. You can even mix a couple of shades of paint in the bottle cap until you get it just right. I can't even tell where it was touched up. (11/30/2009)

By libadmin

Dyeing Carpet

Try tea (regular black, not green or herbal), either in the form of bags or loose leaves like they drink it in the UK. You will probably have to experiment (like how many bags and how long you steep it, etc.) on an unseen part of the carpet (like in a closet?) or some other surface to get the color right so it's not too dark; but give it a try. A friend of mine who made and dyed her own yarn used a dye made from tea for the brown shades and said it made a good permanent dye. Good luck! (11/30/2009)

By Lynn from CA

Does anyone know anything about dyeing carpet? I have a nice carpet in a small bedroom, that is 70's gold and would like to dye it myself.

By Putsy from Harrisburg, PA

Answers:

Dyeing Carpet

I used to own a carpet service and it depends on how old and worn your carpet is. If the fibers are too worn down, it won't take up the dye evenly, so the high traffic areas will be a slightly different color than the rest of the carpet and you won't have a uniform look. You can get by with a slightly darker color than the gold you have now if you just want to get a little bit more wear out of it. You can, however, ask several different companies to come and give you a bid. See what they say to you when they look at your carpet. Good luck. (08/23/2009)

By PrincessVal

Dyeing Carpet

My aunt did hers. Every time we went over there we left with dye on us from it bleeding. (11/24/2009)

By lynn1071