Plastic Knife to Label Plants

I have moved multiple times and added and split perennials to each flower garden. Sadly, after tending to a variety of gardens, I have had trouble keeping track of what's been planted and where.

My solution? When plants are at their peak, I write with a sharpie on white plastic knives, the name of the plant and when it blooms. I stick the labeled knife in the center of the plant so I can easily locate my investment each spring and summer. I have used this trick for over 18 years and haven't lost a plant yet!

By blasg from Indianapolis

Great idea. I also have moved and transplanted and lost things. Every fall I swear that I'll write out a diagram on paper showing where everything is, have started it, but don't know that everything is on there. Oh well!

I cut plastic ice cream containers into strips and cut the ends to a point for easy insertion into the ground.

I have used your method but the ink from the marker does not stay on the knife! What is the trick to getting it to do that?

Popsicle Stick Plant Marker
Homemade Plant Markers
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsFebruary 10, 2011
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
Electric Knife
Using an Electric Knife
Magnetic Knife Holder
Making a Magnetic Knife Holder