Homemade Plant Markers

Category Miscellaneous
The cost of buying plant markers may be prohibitive, but you can make some unique ones using purchased or household items. This is a guide about homemade plant markers.

This is a guide about making Popsicle stick plant markers. Popsicle sticks are great for making inexpensive plant markers.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Worn out mini blinds can be repurposed and used for garden and plant markers. This is a guide about vinyl blinds for plant markers.

This is a guide about cork plant markers. Corks can be used to make simple recycled plant markers.

This is a guide about making stone garden markers. Choose some pretty smooth stones to use for making garden plant markers.

This guide contains sand dollar plant markers. These dried sea urchins can be made into colorful garden accessories.

I didn't realize how easy it was to root grape cuttings. When I found out, I started rooting them like crazy. I had five different varieties.

I carefully labeled the cuttings from each, making labels from mini blinds and using a fine point 'permanent' Sharpie pen.

You can make garden tags out of leftover aluminum roof flashing (the kind on a roll). I took a simple tag design that I drew, printed it out on heavy paper, and cut it out. I took that template and a Sharpie and traced that design onto the flashing metal multiple times.

I have moved multiple times and added and split perennials to each flower garden. Sadly, after tending to a variety of gardens, I have had trouble keeping track of what's been planted and where.

This is a method for making plant labels that are weather resistant and pretty, for the project presented in Birds and Blooms Magazine. The designer did not give measurements for the labels she made. So I came up with my own.

Save those plastic knives from your picnic to make durable row markers. Mark plant variety and planting date with permanent marker. Push knife with handle side in the ground.

One of the most difficult things to find for the garden is plant markers that hold up to the seasons. After experimenting for decades, I have many suggestions...

Everyone seems to have a tip for making plant markers. I've posted a couple here, myself. From the standpoint of durability, I think I've found the ideal material. Scrap white vinyl siding.

Instead of paying $5 for 20 garden markers, go to the Dollar store and get 30 plastic knives for $1 instead. Use a permanent marker for your plant name and place accordingly.

I save all plastic labels that come with bedding plants. I clean them a bit and store them in a baggie along with a roll of good masking tape and a permanent marker.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Use old forks as garden markers. Simply "weave" your seed packets through the tines on forks you no longer use. Stick them in the garden to mark your rows.

Even plastic forks could be used, but be sure they are firmly pushed in the ground.

Instead of buying plant markers go to your hardware store and ask for a bundle of shims. These are very inexpensive wooden slats and have plenty of room to use a permanent marker to write the name of the plant.

Have leftover wooden spoons that come with the little ice cream cups or popsicle sticks? Use them as labels in your garden.

If you take a short length of 1/2 inch water pipe and cut it lengthwise about 1/4 inch with a hack saw and then cut one side in to your cut, it gives you a curved embossing tool. Making a straight embossing tool is easy. Any piece of metal with the same thickness as your curved tool will do.

I am looking for ideas for making plant markers. They have gotten so expensive (like about 12 little plastic markers for $5.00).

By Regina

Answers

Hi Regina! Just found this site.

I used old horizontal blinds to make my plant markers. Each slat cuts easily to whatever size you prefer and they won't go bad in weather.

You can use them for years! A neighbor was throwing them out and I rescued them from their trash. If you don't have any, check to see if you can find them at a thrift store. Best wishes and happy gardening! :) aprlfool59 (Sharon)

I just cut up a used bleach bottle, or other fairly strong plastic bottle. I mark it with a Sharpie, or other permanent marker.

Something you can use are the wooden tongue depressor-type sticks that craft stores sell in big boxes. Use a Sharpie or other waterproof pen and then after the ink is dry you can lay a number of markers on a sheet of newspaper and spray them with a clear spray...just a light spray to weather-proof the ink.

I just replaced my white, plastic vertical blinds. They went straight into the garage because that area is where I keep things to be used differently someday!

The blinds cut easily with just a scissors and need only a permanent marker for this project. When official warm weather starts, I plan on using them for plant markers.

I could kick myself. My neighbor just threw out a set of the thin plastic blinds. The bulk trash was a week late picking up trash. In my heart I knew that there was something about those blinds that I could use. never the less I do have several milk jugs that I did some failed experiments (cut holes in them) and I still have them. Thanks