Making Popsicle Stick Plant Markers

Making Popsicle Stick Plant Markers
Popsicle sticks are great for making inexpensive plant markers. This is a guide about making Popsicle stick plant markers.

At this time of year, many of my plants are being brought inside for the winter. I love all of the beautiful plant markers that can be purchased, but if you have a lot of plants, those markers can get expensive. I save Popsicle sticks to make inexpensive markers. On one side you can write the name of the plant, on the other you can note any specific care information. I've added a second marker to the pot of this plant, an African Mask Elephant Ear, because ALL parts of this plant are poisonous: leaves, stems, and roots! Sometimes I just draw a skull and crossbones! When I first buy juvenile plants, or plants that are simply unfamiliar to me, this is especially important. Just use a permanent marker and you'll find that these markers last quite awhile, while saving you a lot of money.

Our kids each planted a garden this year and I thought it would be helpful if they had plant markers. I had some oversized craft Popsicle sticks and thought they would make good markers.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

Find the letter stamps that you need to spell out your plant or vegetable name. Stamp the name onto the craft stick. Allow ink to dry for a few minutes. To protect them from the rain, I coated the stamped area with clear nail polish. This was a perfect solution and it was easy for them to do on their own.

Tip: I couldn't find a stamp pad, so I had them use washable markers and color on the stamps instead. It works great!

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

I have a little container garden and planted seeds in 6 containers. To mark my veggies, I used Popsicle sticks and just put the letter of the veggie planted. You can use both ends, if you want to change your choice of veggies for the next year, also.

By Cyntimental from FL

Need help organizing your seeds? When planting seeds at any time, you don't need to buy expensive planting labels. You can use popsicle sticks, tongue depressors, or window blinds cut into smaller pieces. Use a permanent marker to write what seeds or bulbs you are planting and always know where everything is.

Need help organizing gardening tools? Use an over-the-door shoe rack with pockets. Your tools fit neatly inside and you always know where they are.

By Tammy from Fort McCoy, FL

Videos

This video shows you an easy way to make your own plant markers out of popsicle sticks.