Using Mini Blinds for Plant Markers

Worn out mini blinds can be repurposed and used for garden and plant markers. This is a guide about vinyl blinds for plant markers.

I take an old plastic mini-blind and cut the string to remove slats off the string. Then take 3 slats at a time stacked and flush, start your first cut at the hole for the strings, use that as a size guide cutting down the slat, using up the slat. Then put a point on one end. I have plant markers that look all the same and almost look store purchased. I use a paint pen, because Sharpie ink does not last outside.

Caution! You will have TONS of plant or row markers with this project.

Source: Just came to me filling a need for lots of markers and wanting to reuse.

By Chuck from Mason, MI

I have already submitted a couple of ideas for plant labels. This is my absolute favorite. Cut old, one inch mini blinds into five inch strips. Taper one end. Just write the plant name and plant date on them with a pencil or marker.

If you want protection from the elements for a while, you can do as I've done here. Place a strip of opaque cello tape at the top of the marker. Write on that. Then cover that with a strip of clear tape.

The tape (and writing) can be removed and the label can be reused for several years.

Reusable garden markers can be fashioned from old venetian blind slats. You can make 3 stakes from each slat by cutting the slat in thirds and cutting 1 end of each into a point. Use a permanent marking pen to label your markers, then clean them off at the end of the season with lacquer thinner.

By Joesgirl

Answers:

Venetian-Blind Plant Markers

Great idea! Last year I spent a fortune on markers! Thanks for the great idea:) (11/03/2004)

By Lanie

Venetian-Blind Plant Markers

I use the venetian blinds cut into 4' long pieces to make price tags in order to mark the prices at my annual plant sale. Each perennial or annual gets price tag. My tags are written in black permanent marker and my girlfriend's tags are in red.

As we sell each perennial, we take out the price tag and at the end of the sale all tags that have prices marked in black are mine (and money give to me accordingly) and all tags that are in red marker are my girlfriend's and she gets that much money. Works great. I wash my tags and next year use the same ones again.

I write the names of my indoor houseplants on venetian blind tags also. No more guessing when someone asks me the name of a plant.

I found that the venetian blind tags and permanent marker for name tags in my garden did not work. I "need" to know the names of my perennials for years and years and the marker fades over time and the blnd tags get brittle after a few years OR the deer or dogs walk on them in the winter and snap them off.

I buy tooling copper at the craft shop instead. Tooling copper is a soft copper that you can write in and cut with scissors. I cut 1 by 3 inch pieces, hole punch a hole in the corner, write the name of the perennial in the copper, and I have a permanent cheap name tag that will last forever. The copper turns a greenish color over time, but you can leave the tag in the garden winter and summer and never wonder what the name of your plant is again, it's right there.

I attach the copper rectangle to a 6 inch piece of wire hanger by threading it through and twisting it once at the top, then I push the end into the ground beside the plant. Wire hangers are free and the copper tag costs me about 9 cents Canadian. (11/03/2004)

By brenda newton

I make plant markers by cutting strips of vinyl blinds into 5-inch sections. I write the name and flower color on it using a fine-tip Sharpie permanent black marker. Then I insert the printed end into the soil next to the plant. When you pull it out, the printing will remain visible indefinitely and you'll always have the name handy. It does not fade, as does the name exposed to the elements. I find a lot of my "recycled" blinds at the curb on garbage-pickup day.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI