Using a Basket Filter in a Coffee Percolator

I've been trying to cut down on opportunities to ingest cholesterol laden food and drinks. We just recently started drinking perked coffee as opposed to auto drip. There is a lot of oil in coffee. I had forgotten all about it during the years I was using the drip pot.

I bought some filters for the perc pot but didn't like them so I took a left over basket filter and folded it twice, then cut a tiny hole in the center. It will fit around the stem and can be arranged in the basket to filter your coffee. The basket filters are less expensive too. When I scoop the coffee into the basket I put my finger over the end of the stem to prevent coffee from falling down into the stem. You've probably noticed that I am very picky about my coffee.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

I use this exact method! I bought this type of Coffee pot. I figured it would be better than having my coffee brewed in plastic. Stainless Steel is much better and I think my coffee tastes better. I does take a few times to get the knack with the filters.

Interesting idea. I've read that Swedish studies have shown a link of perked coffee to various ailments (check PubMed). Maybe filtering will undo whatever harm perking does, which seems to do with residues (including those oils) that filters catch.

Perked coffee is supposed to have lots more caffeine and a few other negatives - please research this.

Just an FYI. Cholesterol comes exclusively from animals sources, not plants.

Coffee Percolator
Making Coffee in a Percolator
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJanuary 2, 2008
Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Percolator Filter
Finding Replacement Percolator Parts
Coffee Filter Doily
Making a Coffee Filter Doily