Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Still Seeing Fleas After Terminex Has Left

Someone please put my mind at ease. When I first noticed the fleas I treated the house with a few store bought chemicals that really didn't work. I have since had Terminex here (today) and had the dog dipped and applied frontline. I also applied frontline to the cat. I have vacuumed the house at least once a day and discarded the bag each time in a plastic bag and outside of the home.

The Terminex man said that once I got home after the application and vacuumed I would no longer see any. Well I saw one. Am I going crazy, should I call Terminex back in?

I've been told by others that I will see them for at least a week or so while they die off.

Horrified from MA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By (Guest Post)07/14/2006

I got rid of fleas by installing a flea light. The fleas fly toward the light and get stuck on sticky paper.

By Samantha [1]07/14/2006

You need to treat fleas like head lice. Wash the linens, wash where the pet sleeps, plays, etc. Keep in mind that 1 flea lays 10,000 eggs and those take about 2 weeks to hatch. The adult fleas are not the biting problem, so you need to go after the small fleas.
Vaccum, wash, vaccum wash, your house must remain throughly clean, the eggs drop off the animal and the flea only spends 20% of its time on the host, they rest of the time they are in the enviroment.
But you have a major head start by getting a terminator, just keep doing your part by cleaning/vaccuming daily and wash those linens weekly or more often if you your pet gets on your bed.
And keep up on the flea treatment for the pet, that is the first place flea control starts is on the pet.
I wish you luck, fleas are going to be bad this year due to the mild winter.

By Kelly [15]05/20/2006

My dog and I will bring in a flea when we go outside for duties. I check him almost every night now, and no infestations! We use Diamond Dog food, the low fat kind and I saw it has brewer's yeast in it. He also gets leftovers occasionally, and there are traces of garlic in that ;) We also clean with Basic H by Shaklee, it is an organic cleaner that breaks down the protien shell of the flea, so I spray his trunk down instead of using nasty chemicals that will get on the kids and rug. You shouldn't use it on your carpet as cleaner (it destroys the stain protection) but you can email me at healthy_home101@hotmail.com and I can send you more information! Good Luck!

By mimi (Guest Post)05/20/2006

every year i tend to have a flea problem in my house. usually i just pick everything off the floor (i have a messy room) n do a really good sweep n mop. i also tried this one method where you put dish soap in a plate n put that under a lamp (perferably at night) n they just start jumpin in!

By Amy Bickle12/30/2005

Mule team Borax sprinkled on Carpet dries up the eggs but you need to vacuum it out really well after you use this method.

By Claudia - MD (Guest Post)11/21/2005

My two dogs recently brought fleas home after visiting my Dad's dog. The vet told me that it takes a while to rid the house of fleas, since it's a 'life cycle thing.' You can rid the house of the adult fleas, but you have to keep at it and wait til the ones that are currently eggs hatch and then die. It's sounds like you are doing all the things my vet advised, so just keep at it and be patient.

By jerry [1]11/18/2005

Your exterminator is good company. Give them a week or two. I have used them in past and they got all except "black sugar ants". They just can't seem to get rid of em. if you hv any method plse let me know?

The approach that you are taking will work for you. I have used the method exactly.
GOOD LUCK FM JERRYNO1

By Carol (Guest Post)11/18/2005

Yes, its the eggs from the fleas that will keep hatching. I've never dealt with an exterminator, but I think the work should be guaranteed. Maybe you can try asking him about that... Fleas can live a long, long time even without food. they are a hardy species, but if you are vigilant, I think you'll be successful. I now have a cat that I keep indoors all the time because its when the animal goes outside in the grass that it gets the fleas... Best wishes always, Carol

By Linda Howe11/17/2005

It is hard to get rid of fleas. There are probably a few fleas eggs hidden, where the vacuume didn't reach, and they must hatch so the flea can die. http://www.flea.net has some good information about the flea cycle. Good luck!
Love & Prayers,
Linda