Inexpensive Window Covering

I need to find an attractive, inexpensive way to cover a small vertical window next to my front door. The window is 35" long and 7" wide. Any suggestions would be appreciated! =)

Try shopping at the Good Will or Salvation Army for a pair of attractive inexpensive drapes. You might find a pair to fit the window, and if not you could narrow them and cut them down to fit. They wouldn't be hard stitching them on a sewing machine.

2 ideas come to mind. Find 2 of the same design you like in dishtowels sew them together to get your lenght then make a seam for the top depending on your width needed for the type rod you would choose.

My favorite though which I use in almost all my windows in some way whether it be large or small version is to decorate the glass with gallery glass. It's a craft type liquid you find in walmart or any craft store. The choice of colors to pick from are numerous. You first need to get the liquid leading there in that section. You take the liquid leading that comes in the pour top bottle and just draw out your design (like coloring) then you let that dry for about 48 hours. then you fill in the spaces with your color choices of the gallery glass. they too are in bottles with tips for pouring and filling. to use fine tiny lines put a piece of clear tape around your nozzle tip so its more finer and not a fat line. when you fill the inside spaces with the colors use a tooth pick to spread it around and pop out any bubbles you see. you can use saran wrap balled up in hand to pat at the paint colors to give different texture looks. When all of your scenery dries, it looks so pretty and looks like stain glass look. It peels right off it you ever tire of the look and can be put right onto your windows again by simply spraying them lightly first with windex. For windows or glass that do not come off to work on for your scenery, simply take a big piece of cardboard tape a big piece of clear saran wrap over it and tape the back side so it stays on pulling it tight. Then just lay your design under neath these two layers and then just tracing over the design with your lead liquid, let it dry for 48 hours then filling with your colors. when its all dry peel off and spray your window with windex then add the design to it. I always take my windows out and do this procedure with windows lying flat with my design under the glass tape to the other side.

this beautiful look adds privacy and give off such pretty colors from the sun shining through.

Here are pictures of two of my windows in my home. One is partially covered the other one I use the gallery paint that is a frost type white, but when it dries it is just clear, the crinkling look you see around the rose is the frost color and i used saran wrap in my hand balled up and just moved it around on the glass in a patting motion to give it a textured look.I mixed green in with it to which gave it a clear frost but green tint. that picture was taken from the inside veiw. the other garden scene is on my laundry room window. I have double storm windows so I did it on the outside window. that picture view taken was from outside. When the lights are on inside & its dark outside it looks so pretty and gives privacy from anyone seeing half way up the glass. On it a free handed a birthbath with water and a bird below are all sorts of flowers and rocks with turtles on them. when you put your design on with the liquid lead bottle, try thinking in layers. put the things farest you want to seem small on first then put the larger things on last. it makes it seem more 3-d and realistic.

I do my scenes free hand but you can print coloring book type pictures from your printer from your own on free clip art sites or use coloring book pages, even trace over pictures in magazines.

The paints are a bit pricie but do many projects and ebay sellers often sell them in lots cheaper. store and use them upside down (all your paints) so the ends do not harden next time. have fun with it, if you mess up just wipe off and start again.

heres the garden scene using the gallery glass, my picture is taken from outside so my screen is over top of it.

the name of the gallery glass paint used for the birth bath is called peral white, so pretty.

What is gallery glass?

gallery glass is a type of craft paint that comes in small or large plastic bottles sold in the craft stores or walmart craft section. it comes in differant colors and is used to fill in the design you make with the gallery glass liquid lead paint which is right there beside the paint colors. its a plastic bendable pliable version of stained glass, that you put on windows or glass wear of any type, by means of applying the leading first in your design then let dry and then fill in that design with the gallery glass colors. when the complete thing is dry you can peel off and replace again and again to the same or other glass surfaces to have a stain glass look.

Just buy a swatch of fabric, and velcro it on!

You can buy paint-on window frosting from hardware stores and even use a stencil to make it more interesting.

A really cheap fabric covering would be to take a pretty pillowcase and open it along the longer side seams, that should make it long enough to cover the drop.

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas! I am so glad there are thrifty, creative women around! =)

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas! I am so glad there are thrifty, creative women around!! =)

(Also, to theseamstress--what beautiful gallery glass you did...terrific job!)

I did a custom order mini-blind. Got it when Montgomery Wards was having a sale years ago. Turned out to be very reasonable and looks nice from the exterior of the house.

just some ideas I have seen on HGTV shows: window coverings using scarves, old dish towels (linen types), beads, or you can even make a window covering with used CDs strung together.

I have customed covering using sheets...enough left over for table covering or whatever.

If you have a Home Depot in your area, they have self adhesive (static cling) type stained glass in many designs. You get it wet and smooth it on the window. It sticks till you pull it off. They are easy to cut and look very nice. They may be available at other hardware or home decor stores.

A pretty table runner would be just about the measurements you indicated.

find a stencil you like & use washable glue instead of paint to "frost" the glass ? Or if you are in the least little bit inclined with a brush to be artistic you could brush stroke the glue on & even use washable glitter glue or add food coloring & add feathery strokes,dots or fleck the glue on or swirls (or whatever) or even a scene of somekind.If it needs removed a razor blade would help alot.

Use contact paper. I did a window years ago with a stained glass pattern and it is still looking good.

Am noting all the tips for gallery glass. I have a frosted window in the tub area & feel self conscious

with the plain frosted glass. Will the GG products

withstand the water? If so my problem is solved.

Woman hanging a window treatment.
Window Treatment Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsNovember 6, 2007
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Roll of Plastic Wrap
Use Winterizing Plastic As Shrink Wrap
Window Sheers
Changing the Color of Curtains
🎉
🎄