Cigarette Smoke Stains on Clothing

I have been living with a smoker for 6 years. Yesterday I got my down duvet out to wash and put on my bed and it is now yellow from the smoke. I also have a number of white or off white shirts that were hanging in my closet that are now all discolored on the shoulders and sleeves. Please help me! How do you get cigarette smoke stains out of clothing?

Sheri from Calgary AB

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

If your items are originally all white, a great way to restore their brilliance is with a solution of 1/4 cup liquid bleach, 1/4 cup liquid automatic dishwasher detergent and at least a gallon of hot water. Just mix the solution and add the items, soak for a short time then wash as usual. Takes stains out of baby shirts etc. like magic!! Great for hubby's white work shirts and kids socks as well!

ERP - Ontario Canada

Put in a load of smoke smelling clothes in washer , add a can of coke (regular coke, not diet or caffeine free, and wash as usual. Professional cleaners of smoke saturated clothes (like from a fire) and firemen recommend this treatment.

Go to Walmart or Lowe's and get some greese lightening. That works great on any stains. It is safe to use in the washer on clothes stains, cigarette stains and all. It is the only cleaner I use now also. It works for all kinds of cleaning.

Also for the lady that has the red water stains, get some wink and try putting that on the red areas. It really takes the stain out of clothes that are stained from the red water. Just put some on the stained area and wash them like you regularly do.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

April 23, 2008 Flag

Sheri from Calgary AB

Answers:

Cigarette Smoke Stains on Clothing

There are a few things you can try, one is bleaching the items. Another is using Oxy clean or another laundry booster. Or go to http://www.tide.com and check out the stain detective on that site, it is usually helpful to me. I'd tell the smoker to start smoking outside too! (04/12/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Cigarette Smoke Stains on Clothing

Oh yeah and are you sure it is from the smoke and not from iron in your water? My Mom has iron in her water and it turns her whites yellowish orange, just a thought... (04/12/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 23, 2008
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smell on Clothes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 14, 2016 at 10:30:59 AM on 10.0.0.207 in 729 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.