TroubleshootingComputers

Printing a Degrees Symbol

When I hold down the Alt. key and type 0176 it types the degrees symbol which is great but when I print the recipe card it puts a capital A in front. Please let me know if anyone else has this problem and how to fix it.

By Lana

Strange, maybe try it this way. Find windows Character Map. Usually it is found by going to the start menu, then programs, then accessories, then system tools. You can find the degree symbol there and copy and paste it into your document. It might print different if you try it that way.

If nothing works maybe it would be easier to just type out the word degrees.

Alt 248 always has worked for me.

To print the degree symbol, hold down the ALT key, then using the numbers key to the right of your keyboard (NOT the numbers at the top of the keyboard) type 248

This will give you the degree symbol.

I wonder if your printer is not recognizing the font that you are using and substituting a different one. It would substitute letters with no difficulty but have problems with symbols and use something else, as they can vary in code from font to font.

If you can track down that this is the problem (call printer manufacturer?) a driver update might hel Or change fonts in your document file to something common, like Times New Roman.

I've had a similar font problem entering recipe contests in online forms. When I'd copy from my document file to the form, the fraction symbols would get change to some nonsense symbol. You also see this in some web pages, where you'll see strange symbols instead of quotes, apostrophes, dashes, etc. That's poor coding!

I solve the problem by using the asterix sign (over the 8) instead of the degree symbol. I don't enter recipe contests so I guess it doesn't matter as much. Although I share recipes with friends and family and no one has asked about using the asterisk.

Anonymous

Tried to copy and paste and still didn't work.