Making a Bib Holder

I need directions on making a bib holder for Seniors with small clothespins and ribbon.

Terri from Illinois

When my dad was sick with Alzheimers, I made him several bibs. I used kitchen handtowels. I cut them in half, used a plate to make a half moon at the top to go around his neck. I wanted some of the bib on his shoulders as I had to feed him alot in bed. If he turned his head with food, it wouldn't go on his clothes. I then took a ribbon, left about 6 inches on one end, and started sewing around the half moon, leaving about 6 inches of ribbon on the other side. Make several of these, as you will probably need one for each mealtime and probably for snacks, and just a cup of water. They are very easy to make, takes about 5 minutes for 2 bibs. I liked the terry towels because they seemed to keep his clothes drier.

We have three messy boys ranging in age from 8-13. I got so tired of scrubbing stains off of their shirts from sauces like spaghetti,ketchup, mustard, & chocolate. I ordered extra large paper bibs from a dental supply company (500 bibs/napkins for $17.00 along with several bib chain holders for about $4.00 each. Now the boys shirts are covered during meals and no more food stains. The bib clips travel well and we use them both at home and in restaurants. This is better than having them tuck a paper napkin in their collar as you get much more coverage using using dental bibs & bib clips.

I use to work in a nursing home they used velcro for the backs and they looked like a bib. aka garment cover.

OOps, we haven't answered your question. Buy spool ribbon probably wider than 1/4" (pretty cost effective), then find some small spring clothespins in the craft section, as regular ones just look too bulky. Then feed the ribbon through where the spring/hinge is on the clothespin and tie off. I've gotten these as gifts with different items glued to the "top" side of the clothespin, like chillipeppers, big "diamonds", small flat flowers, etc.

Sometimes there are just pretty beads on the ends of the ribbon after it has been tied. There are all kinds of miniature things like saws and hammers, fishing reels, etc in the craft stores to make really cute holders. Anyway, just make the finished length from tip of the close pin down the ribbon, to the tip of the other close pin, around 18" so it holds the towel or a napkin up high enough to cover the shirt. Even just one decorated close pin in your purse can hold up a restaurant napkin and save your white shirt or blouse from a spaghetti disaster!

Crafts AdviceDecember 27, 2006
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
CD Candle Holder
Making a CD Candle Holder
Crocheted Teddy Bib and Headband
Making Crocheted Teddy Bear Clothing
🎉
🎄