Making a Baby Bib

This bib was based on the need for a larger bib for my children when they were young. I noticed that when babies started eating solid food you could find waterproof large bibs, the only draw back is they don't absorb much when they drool when teething or spit up. I took a small (short) infant bib and used a food bib to make the measurements for this bib.

Total Time: About 1 1/2 hour

Yield: 1-2

• spool of thread
  • needle
  • 1/2 -1 yd flannel
  • straight pins
  • pin cushion
  • bias tape
  • 1 baby bib or a store bought pattern.
  • sewing machine

1. Pin bib of your choice to the fabric. If you would like a longer bib, measure to desired length. Measure across for width.
  2. Cut out bib (2).
  3. Turn wrong sides together.
  4. Remember to clip curves. Pin bias tape around edges.
  5. Stitch bias tape to fabric. Stitch in the fold of the bias tape.
  6. Trim seam an 1/8 inch from seam.
  7. Fold bias tape over trimmed seam, pin, and stitch along open edge.
  8. Add 10 inches of bias tape to length beyond top of bib for ties. Pin bias tape to sides and stitch in fold.
  9. Trim fabric of seam.
  10. Fold over bias tape. Stitch along edge of open edge. Repeat for other side.
  11. For the bottom I used the above sewing directions, but added a 1/4 inch to each end.
  12. Fold in the 1/4 inch on each side and hand a stitch closed.
  13. Repeat on the ends of the ties.

12 More Solutions

When you need to protect your clothing while eating, use a towel with binder clips as a "bib".

Makes a very inexpensive, fun gift! Obtain bandanna (or cut similar fabric into the same shape) and wash cloth (or similar fabric cut into the same shape)

Bandana baby bib.

This is a reversible baby bib, made using worn denim blue jeans and cotton fabric. Create a bib in the shape desired. Cut one piece of denim from this pattern, and one piece of cotton for the reverse side.

Reversible Denim Baby Bib

I use handkerchiefs as a bib for my baby. I have bought lots of them in different colors and like to coordinate them with his outfit.

Boy toddler at the beach.

Handmade one-of-a-kind keep-on bib: cute and comfortable for a new little baby.

Pink washcloth bib.

My daughter-in-law needed a bib for spaghetti night and we couldn't find anything. She had an idea to use an old receiving blanket. She cut a slit in it for her head and made a poncho-like bib.

Valentine towel bibs can easily be made with just a couple of fabric items. You just take a simple tea towel or dish towel and fold over one end about 5 inches, cut a u-shape in the center and then add ribbing fabric to the neckline with a single machine straight stitch.

Tea towel cut for bib and decorated with Valentine's Day motif.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

When making baby bibs or burp cloths, I cut a piece from a mattress pad a little smaller than the bib or burp cloth and slip it between the two pieces of material. I close the end then I sew across the bib or burp cloth and make a design.

How do you make terry cloth bibs?

Janet from Salem OR

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

The very easiest way is to take a towel/wash cloth, and attach long ties. If the towel is fringed on the end, turn down the edge folded over to make a hem, then attach ties. Cotton ribbon with the ends hemmed is the easiest. Attach ties at towel corners. When bibs are no lomger needed, remove ties and use the towels. Finger tip towels/wash cloths for babies, and hand/small bath towels work for toddlers and adults. If you wish, you can cut a small 1/2 circle from the top of the towel and hem, but I don't.
I have made these bibs for my own chidren(now 30's-40's), my grandchildren, and my mother/mother-in-law in the nursing home.

By Donna Napolitan (Guest Post)

When my son was a toddler cutting his baby teeth, he drooled heavily, and the entire front of his clothing would get soaked. I came up with this idea, and it worked great. Instead of using small washclothes, I used colorful dish-towels, which covered his shirt completely. Laying the towel out on a flat surface. I made a small circle, (about the size of a large grapefruit) about 1/4 of the way below the top edge of the towel. I cut out the circle, then machine stitched a strip of rib knit around the hole. The knit can be purchased at fabric stores. Just ask for the rib knit used to make cuffs on shirts. I zig-zagged around the original stitching, as terry cloth tends to fray. (Even though the hole is small, it stretches to accomodate almost any sized head due to the stretchy knit fabric.) Turn it over, and you have a nice, large cover which can be used as an artist's smock or bib. I kept mine and used them for years. My aunt made some for her elderly husband who happened to be suffering with Parkinson's and drooled constantly. They can easily be adjusted to fit any sized person. Hope this helps!

When my daughter was younger (now 4 1/2), I took dish towels and cut a hole for her head. I tried to sew velcro on them to attach in back, but could never get it to stick or it would pull off, so we finally ended up just clasping it in back with a clothes pin at meals. She still wears these to paint or do crafts.

TC in MO

Use seam binding (in color of terrycloth so no fading onto bib) to hem, leaving long enough ends to tie in back of neck. It will do better to cut the half circle at top. I made many of these when my twins were little and found that thick terrycloth was hard to work with. (Twins are now 45, so you can see this idea has been around for awhile!)

Here is a website you might find useful:
www.needlepointers.com/displaypage.aspx?
ArticleID=29746&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.patternbee.com%2fFREE6.html
They show how to make a bib with a washcloth.

Answer this Question

I am looking for a pattern for pocket bibs for toddlers. And if it crisscrossed in the back, it would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Thank you.

By Susan from Phoenix, AZ

I am looking for a bib pattern for a baby/toddler that has long sleeves and Velcros in the back. Thanks very much.

Jeanne from Englewood, FL

Answers

Pattern is not free but can be ordered from this website:

www.sewbaby.com/.../patterns_1.html

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Crafts Baby ItemsNovember 4, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Baby-Bib.html