Terry Cloth Bibs

How do you make terry cloth bibs?

Janet from Salem OR

The very easiest way is to take a towel/wash cloth, and attach long ties. If the towel is fringed on the end, turn down the edge folded over to make a hem, then attach ties. Cotton ribbon with the ends hemmed is the easiest. Attach ties at towel corners. When bibs are no lomger needed, remove ties and use the towels. Finger tip towels/wash cloths for babies, and hand/small bath towels work for toddlers and adults. If you wish, you can cut a small 1/2 circle from the top of the towel and hem, but I don't.
I have made these bibs for my own chidren(now 30's-40's), my grandchildren, and my mother/mother-in-law in the nursing home.

When my son was a toddler cutting his baby teeth, he drooled heavily, and the entire front of his clothing would get soaked. I came up with this idea, and it worked great. Instead of using small washclothes, I used colorful dish-towels, which covered his shirt completely. Laying the towel out on a flat surface. I made a small circle, (about the size of a large grapefruit) about 1/4 of the way below the top edge of the towel. I cut out the circle, then machine stitched a strip of rib knit around the hole. The knit can be purchased at fabric stores. Just ask for the rib knit used to make cuffs on shirts. I zig-zagged around the original stitching, as terry cloth tends to fray. (Even though the hole is small, it stretches to accomodate almost any sized head due to the stretchy knit fabric.) Turn it over, and you have a nice, large cover which can be used as an artist's smock or bib. I kept mine and used them for years. My aunt made some for her elderly husband who happened to be suffering with Parkinson's and drooled constantly. They can easily be adjusted to fit any sized person. Hope this helps!

When my daughter was younger (now 4 1/2), I took dish towels and cut a hole for her head. I tried to sew velcro on them to attach in back, but could never get it to stick or it would pull off, so we finally ended up just clasping it in back with a clothes pin at meals. She still wears these to paint or do crafts.

TC in MO

Use seam binding (in color of terrycloth so no fading onto bib) to hem, leaving long enough ends to tie in back of neck. It will do better to cut the half circle at top. I made many of these when my twins were little and found that thick terrycloth was hard to work with. (Twins are now 45, so you can see this idea has been around for awhile!)

Here is a website you might find useful:
http://www.need … isplaypage.aspx?
ArticleID=29746&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.patternbee.com%2fFREE6.html
They show how to make a bib with a washcloth.