Cleaning Baby Clothes and Bibs

Category Laundry
Baby clothes and bibs in particular can get very dirty in the course of a typical day. This is a guide about cleaning baby clothes and bibs.

Babies are messy eaters. Bibs tend to stain badly. I've found an easy way to keep my baby's bibs as nice as possible: after a meal, when I normally do the dishes anyway (baby eats at the same time I do), I rinse out her bib in the soapy dish water, rinse, and hang on the back of her highchair to dry. The new bibs I bought since I started doing this look so much better than the ones I used to just toss in the hamper until laundry day! As a bonus: I can reuse bibs instead of grabbing clean ones at every meal.

By Leann D

My daughter was delivered three months early, and weighed only two pounds, when I developed pre-eclampsia, and so has always been my miracle baby. I am very sentimental and treasure her tiny little baby clothes. I put several boxes of clothes away in plastic storage containers, thinking they would be safe, and in the hope that I might be blessed to use them again.

As I've started the task of decluttering my home, I began to sort through these boxes, and found to my dismay that a large percentage of the clothes I saved have been ruined by disgusting tiny little bugs that I think are carpet beetles. I rarely find live specimens when I clean, just their dried "shells", and the ruin they leave behind. They seem to prefer certain materials over others, and leave yellow stains on anything they come in contact with that will not wash out, even when bleached.

Besides being grossed out to think of having this unseen infestation in my home, I am heartbroken over the ruin of so many of my daughter's baby things, and totally ticked off! Nothing I've tried will remove these stains. Please help me salvage my treasured momentos!

Answers

Anonymous

I have rescued several stained pieces of clothing by soaking in a bucket of hot water with Biz colorsafe bleach overnight and then laundering as usual. Even formula stained clothes were saved.

I am not familiar with this type of beetle at all, but I wonder if washing the clothes as usual and laying in the sun to dry might not bleach out the stains. Sunlight may help. Certainly worth a try.

Try "amaze"which you should be able to find in the laundry detergent isle. It will be in a box. Works well for formula stains.