Starting a Gas Mower More Easily

I'm looking for assistance in getting my gas lawn mower to start more easily. Last year I had minor back surgery. After that I had trouble pulling the cord hard and fast enough to get the motor to "catch" and run. I often ended up needing to pull the cord over and over to start - probably as many as 20-25 times.

It was maddening, frustrating, painful, and exhausting. I'm 58 years old and not in the best physical condition. The mower is 7 years old. I do all the recommended maintenance. Last year my neighbor was able to get it going in 6 or 7 pulls, so I don't think there's a mechanical problem. It's probably just me. I'm not currently in a financial position to buy a new mower or to hire a lawn care service.

Does anybody know anything I can do to make it easier for me to get the mower started? Thanks for any help.

Amy from Lafayette, IN

does it have a gas primer button? I have to push mine about 20 times, then it starts easily. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, other than make sure the spark plug is good, or call a neighbor kid to come over and start it for you.

My husband taught me the trick of using a can of stuff called Quick Start or something like that. It's an aerosol can of something that you spray onto the vent holes of the air filter of the lawn mower and then pull the cord. I think it may be ether. The people at your local hardware store may be able to help you find it. Of course, make sure your lawn mower is clean and in good working order and, as always, be sure to follow any safety instructions on the product. Good luck!

The day they gave those gas mowers automatic chokes was the day I started to loose my religion.

Oh yes I over primed them buttons

I did some ritual holding and releasing the feed handle. and checked the spark plug wire

What works for me is to pop open the air filter tank and send a little gas down the hole to the carburator.

You wait 5 minutes until the gas smell is gone then in about 4 or 5 pulls the mower grumbles. That next try it starts

Editor's Note: I have no idea if this is practical advice or not. I don't know how this would work. Anyone?

I did this when my pull cord reel broke. Removed the pull cord reel assembly. There was a 3/4"nut under there in a cup. The pull cord catches on the cup when you pull the cord. I put a 3/4"socket on an extension that fit in a 1/2" chuck drill. Set the drill on clockwise , hold or secure your mowers brake cable handle and use the drill to turn your engine over. It wont take long so get ready to quickly pull the drill/socket off.

Hi I just want to say that I tried what Mr. Thrifty suggested about pouring a little fuel down the hole of the air filter ( I removed the filter and cleaned it too) and the mowre started right up and stayed cranked. I have been so frustated as I can't afford to pay a repairman to even check it out. This was free advise and I am so appreciative! My lawn needed mowing so I can finish up! Thanks!

I have a an commercial mulcher /mower which doesn't start on occasion. I replaced the spark plug, checked if it had spark after, and then cleaned the air filter by dipping it in gas of paint thinnner. I then sprayed the choke and carburater assembly with (brake) cleaner. I then adjusted the choke handle cable at the carburator site. So far so good.

Spray starting fluid in the air filter hole and where the spark plug goes or put gas in the air filter hole.

Push the primer about 10 to 15 times before pulling the rope. I know people will poo poo this saying you'll just flood the engine, but I do that every time I start my mower, and it NEVER takes more than two pulls, and usually starts with just one pull.

mower starts only when I clean the gas tank , clogs easy

Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMarch 23, 2006
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips