Selling Crafts Made With Old Record Albums

I am interested in making old record albums into bags, clocks, etc. and selling them. Does anyone know what the copyright implications are?

Thanks in advance.

By Nicci from Newark, DE

I wouldn't think their would be a problem since you are not copying anything, but I would make sure that they are not valuable first, some records are worth a lot of money.

Nicci - You should contact a legal source to be sure. As I understand, it's the music, the label and the album cover that are copyrighted, not the actual vinyl. As long as you cover up the label art and re-purpose the vinyl so that it can't actually be played, it doesn't seem there would be any copyright issues. Then again, I'm not an attorney so I suggest you find a reliable source to verify this.

As mrs.flowerpot stated, make sure they aren't valuable, as a vinyl, record album in good to excellent condition, before you re-purpose them. You might be pleasantly surprised!

I am not an attorney but I do know for certain that music copyrights have to do with copying the actual music itself for profit that the musicians should be receiving residuals for. It's not against the law to recycle the vinyl the music happens to be on in to a craft project because vinyl (plastic) is not copyrighted and once the vinyl has been altered there's no way to record music from it. Just be sure to remove the record label because the majority of those are copyrighted ;-)

Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 20, 2010
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Uses for Photo Albums
Alternative Uses for Photo Albums
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players
🎉
🎄