Improving Particle Board Furniture

We have cabinets with lattice work and the boards inside are particle board. They are extremely dusty. I would rather not use contact paper to cover the them because it doesn't stick very well. What could I do to make them look better? The boards can't be replaced. Thank you for any help you can provide!

By Tara Lynn from Tulsa

Rubbermaid makes really cool shelf lining that can be cut to fit, holds well to the surface and can we hand washed if needed. It's a thin foamy type lining that comes in assorted colors. You can purchase it just about anywhere including Wal-Mart, Target and even some pharmacies and grocery stores. It holds up just about forever.

I would go to your local thrift shop and get some non-skid place mats. If they are square, you can save yourself some time. If the perfect ones are ovals, you can trim them down.

Good luck!

Same as what Deeli said, and this is not contact paper. You can lift and remove any time, re-adjust.

Is there any way you could make a little curtain (fabric) to hang on the inside of the open part of the door? This would keep the dust out and could be washed a couple times a year. This way it would not matter what the inside of the cabinet looks like.

October 14, 2010 Flag

How do you make press board shelves look better? I've tried contact paper and it won't stick.

Arizelda from Seattle, WA

Improving Particle Board Furniture

Try painting it. You will have to prime it first so the paint will stick, but it will look nice when you are done. We were remodeling our office area, but could not afford new furniture. We had an old wood tone desk and bookshelf that had both seen better days. We primed then painted a glossy black. Both were better than new! (05/31/2006)

By wendiesioux

Improving Particle Board Furniture

I agree, they need to be sealed in some way. If you don't want to paint, stain and varnish them. (06/01/2006)

By susanmajp

Improving Particle Board Furniture

I have white stackable shoe cubes that have 3 openings and are white. I found some nice inexpensive baskets and attached fabric and they are pretty and sit in the corner of the kitchen. (06/01/2006)

By meoowmom

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingOctober 14, 2010
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
sheet of particle board
Staining Particle Board Flooring
Particle Board Desk
Repairing Particle Board Furniture
Bulletin Board
Making a Bulletin Board