Rescued Dog Won't Go Potty

Two days ago we began fostering a 3 year old Shih Tzu who was abandoned with a serious injury. He had a skin infection on his hind leg. His leg is healing well and his appetite is great. But, he has only peed twice; once out of fear on my bed and once on the floor. He has yet to poo. We've taken him outside regularly first thing in the morning, after eating and before bed. Also whenever we suspected he needed to go but nothing! Any suggestions? The vets at the shelter indicated that he had no problem going there.

Banjo from Brooklyn, New York

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but a sure-fire trick to get my 5 yr old female Shih Tzu to poop is to take her on a walk. That dog will hold it for days even though we let her in the backyard, but as soon as she gets the leash on she's already squatting 10 feet out the door. If I don't do that or stay outside with her in the backyard to physically watch her go to the bathroom she will try to sneak downstairs and do her business. Taking her on a walk ensures the job gets done and she gets some exercise, too. Good luck and have fun with your new puppy!

Kathy's advice sounds good. No dog can resist a good walk. He'll get the idea. And you're wonderful to adopt your little guy.

I took care of a friend's dog who was the same - except that he wasn't a rescue and he decided my carpet was better than the great outdoors. The minute we'd get in from taking a walk, he'd go. Must be an emotional thing.

I am a dog foster. One thing that is really important is to reward the dog when he does eliminate in the proper place. When he pees outside or poops, make sure and say "Good Dog" and give him lots of warm attention. He might be a little constipated from stress in his new environment.

Pets HealthJuly 31, 2007
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Pit Bull
Training a Rescued Pit Bull
🎄