Stocking Staples and Cooking From Scratch

The key to cooking from scratch is making sure that you have staples on hand. Potatoes are one of the best and most versatile staples. Potatoes are cheap, can be stored for a long time, and can be used in a variety of dishes. Other staples to keep on hand are rice, beans, cooking oil, and flour.

Broth is a wonderful thing to cook with! I use it in making rice (chicken flavour, and plain.) instead of boiling in water, use chicken broth. Same thing for beef flavour, use beef broth. I also use it in my mashed potatoes instead of water. I use a half can for boiling corn on the cob. (hint: also using milk makes the corn even sweeter! One half can broth, one cup milk, butter, and water. YUM!)

My family loves Potatoes, one thing I do is i peel all the potatoes when i find a good deal, then I blanch them for 5 minutes in boiling water, fill up a quart jar with potatoes, cover with chicken or beef stock, leaving 1 inch head space. sometimes I add garlic cloves, or onions, or both, then I process them for 60 minutes at 11 lbs of pressure, in a pressure canner, when i dont feel like cooking, I open a jar !

Cooking From Scratch
Cooking From Scratch
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchSeptember 9, 2005
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
🎉
🎄