Making Dumplings

This is a guide about making dumplings. Made throughout the world by many names, dumplings cooked on the top of stew or soup can make a wonderful addition to your meal.

Did you know you can freeze dumplings? I make homemade dumplings. I roll them out flat, put them in the baking pan I bake biscuits in, let them freeze, then put them in an empty plastic cereal bag. I roll the top down and close it with a clothes pin. When ready to use them, get the broth you will use boiling hot. Break the dumplings into pieces, about an inch square, and drop into broth. This saves lot of time. Good luck.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Top Comment

Thanks a million for your kind note. My recipe is very simple. I never measure, so I'll give you the best way I know how.

1 cup of self-rising flour
1 teaspoon of oil

Add enough water to get flour wet, put out on floured counter top, knead a few minutes until dough is stiff, cut dough in half, roll out flat to about 1/4 inch, then if you want to freeze it do as I mention.

If you want to cook it then cut it into strips about 1 inch, drop in boiling broth. I use chicken broth, makes very good dumplings. Season with salt & black pepper. Do not stir, just shake the pot so they want to stick together, cook about 5 min. They need enough broth so they won't be too dry. Some like to add a diced, boiled egg to dumplings. Do the other half the same way.

For a small family, use less flour. If you have dough left over, sprinkle with garlic powder and bake it for homemade crackers. If you need more info, let me know. Good luck.

This page contains chicken and dumplings recipes. The aroma of this hearty chicken and vegetable stew topped with fluffy dumplings will call the family to dinner quickly.

Chicken and Dumplings

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Use Bisquick to drop some tasty little dumplings into your next stew or soup. Bisquick dumplings are easy to make and add substance to any soup.

Bisquick
Dumplings

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making fluffy dumplings. There are a few things to consider to create the texture you want when cooking your dumplings.

Baked apple dumplings on a plate.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When I make drop dumplings in broth, I put an inverted glass pie plate on top of the kettle as a lid. This way I can see when my dumplings are done without lifting the lid and letting the steam escape.

By Jen

Does anyone know if there is a way to make dumplings in the oven or a way to make them other than on the top of a stew, etc.? Thanks.

By Darlene from Ontario, Canada

Answers

Best Answer

I don't make mine in the oven, but here's how I do it. Boil a big pot of water. While the water is heating, crack 6 eggs in a bowl. Add a little salt and a little water and whisk them together. Add about 3 cups of flour or more until the batter clings to a spoon. Using the spoon, drop spoonfulls of batter into the boiling water. After you've dropped them all, stir it and let it boil (you may have to turn down the heat so it doesn't boil over). When they are all floating, they are done. It only takes a few minutes. Then drain and add butter, salt or whatever you want. Hope this helps.